White Chalky/Air Bubble film on Surface. Protein film? Minerals? Tiny single cell algae?

OP
OP
R

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that's a really clean scape. for sure it's accessible, most people don't think to guide a reef that way but in your case that's such a clean install you can just lift out a rock as needed and make it comply outside the reef then set it back

that euphyllia is healthy and very large for such a new tank, it's happy for sure. the animals are happy that's a nice setup
Thanks. I wish I could upload videos here feeding yesterday was funny between the wrasse doing legitimate 360 degree body rolls in excitement to try and impress me and the cleaner shrimp literally swimming up to half the tank. They’re all happy.

I will say I am taking more of the physical approach and I will not mess with things that will set the chemistry off.

The most dosing I’m doing right now is ionic calcium and even that my calcium should be set right around 420ppm and then I just need to supplement whatever is lost with my ATO. I’m just about there.

I will say I’ve noticed the blue tuxedo urchin is an algae monster he cleaned the top piece of dry rock there used to be a bunch of bubble algae and stuff on it before. What CUC members I do have seem to ignore the dry rock in front. Maybe expanding the CUC a bit could help too? What CUC I have is 1 large snail , cleaner shrimp and a tuxedo urchin. I heard emerald crabs help with algae control I don’t see 1-2 of those causing trouble.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I am taking more of the physical approach and I will not mess with things that will set the chemistry off.

What are you referring to? There are not many situations where chemistry problems can be solved or caused by mechanical situations, except gas exchange.

OP
OP
R

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the film resolved?

I'd caution to not ignore it because surface films greatly reduce gas exchange.
yesterday and day before it was down to about 35% of the surface. All in all I am seeing some improvement.

How about a wavemaker or another pump like a Jebao WP10 aimed at the other half of the surface? I think that might do the trick to fully get rid of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday and day before it was down to about 35% of the surface. All in all I am seeing some improvement.

How about a wavemaker or another pump like a Jebao WP10 aimed at the other half of the surface? I think that might do the trick to fully get rid of it.

Surface turbulence will help if you cannot skim it off, yes. :)

OP
OP
R

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you referring to? There are not many situations where chemistry problems can be solved or caused by mechanical situations, except gas exchange.

I was referring to the magic-in-a-bottle type of solutions like Seachem Clarity for example. Instead of just throwing that in the tank and hoping the water clears up, if I can make a physical adjustment like perform a w/c I will opt for that approach vs. just throw the solution in the tank and hope it fixes my problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back