Brown algae on glass.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had a 65 gallon reef tank for a while now about 5 years. I have 2 kessil lights 160WE that run on max intensity. For years i've battled hair algae and recently eradicated it I have not seen it since. Although now I have a lot of coraline and a brownish algae on the glass it makes the tank look really foggy. It makes the tank look really dirty and I do not know how to get rid of it except for scraping it off. But the issue about scraping is that it comes back no matter what. If anybody knows any chemicals or CUC to get rid of this I would love to hear about them. Here's a picture of the tank it is MUCH cleaner now but that brown stuff on the glass stays I will try to point it out in the picture. I annotated the image to point it out you can see the algae all over the glass with some weird pink spots.
Thanks.
1704458492183.png

1704458380445.png

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for the film of algae to grow back? It doesn’t look abnormal to me especially if this is over the course of a week, the pink spots if I am looking at the correct things just look like coralline on the glass again a good indicator the glass hasn’t been scraped clean for a while
I find trochus snails to be quite effective clean up crew for large flat surfaces well all round actually lol what have you got in terms of cuc?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your light duration in a day
Is your tank facing a window daylight
What are your nitrate and phosphate readings

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for the film of algae to grow back? It doesn’t look abnormal to me especially if this is over the course of a week, the pink spots if I am looking at the correct things just look like coralline on the glass again a good indicator the glass hasn’t been scraped clean for a while
I find trochus snails to be quite effective clean up crew for large flat surfaces well all round actually lol what have you got in terms of cuc?
Ill buy some trochus snails, my glass is a little bit more cleaned now although the brown remains. In terms of CUC my checkerboard wrasse ate them all and now there's only a few snails left. My snails had babies in my filter and I have no idea how many are alive. My light duration is from 9:00AM to 8:00PM. My tank is right next to two windows with curtains little too none sunlight comes in. Have not tested water yet.
Thanks!

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tanks running and have to clean my glass daily. If I go two days the view starts to become cloudy. I always thought cleaning the glass is just part of reefing or at least if you want a nice view inside the tank.
You’re right, it is part of reefing, got to clean it at least every 2-3 days or else it gets super dirty

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right, it is part of reefing, got to clean it at least every 2-3 days or else it gets super dirty
I have three tanks running and have to clean my glass daily. If I go two days the view starts to become cloudy. I always thought cleaning the glass is just part of reefing or at least if you want a nice view inside the tank.
Yep...yep..don't be fooled by R2R tank of the month or Reef Keeping Magazine Reef of the Month....

Read the full article and the fine print...these people literally get up every morning and Scrub glass, clean the sandbed etc...it's work to get to that level....even if you have the best tank in the world that does its own good business....there is always work to be done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back