Microscope ID Help?

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rented a microscope & got these photos of samples of algae from my tank! Would love opinions.

First image here is from a scraping of the glass. I have a brownish film that develops quickly on the glass and most surfaces. It only started up after I unintentionally let my nutrient levels bottom out. They are still and don’t move around.

IMG_7046.jpeg

Second sample was from a darker area getting less direct light on the rock - an area that looked to have diatoms. The little oval looking guys move slowly. Couldn’t tell if it was just the water flow of the sample or if they were actually mobile.

IMG_7053.jpeg

Last one here is from another area that appeared to be colonized by the same glass dwelling algae. I was only able to get a tiny sample and mixed it with tank water - so there’s not a lot here.

IMG_7060.jpeg

Would love some ideas of what you guys think!

Thanks

Charlie

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rented a microscope & got these photos of samples of algae from my tank! Would love opinions.

First image here is from a scraping of the glass. I have a brownish film that develops quickly on the glass and most surfaces. It only started up after I unintentionally let my nutrient levels bottom out. They are still and don’t move around.

IMG_7046.jpeg

Second sample was from a darker area getting less direct light on the rock - an area that looked to have diatoms. The little oval looking guys move slowly. Couldn’t tell if it was just the water flow of the sample or if they were actually mobile.

IMG_7053.jpeg

Last one here is from another area that appeared to be colonized by the same glass dwelling algae. I was only able to get a tiny sample and mixed it with tank water - so there’s not a lot here.

IMG_7060.jpeg

Would love some ideas of what you guys think!

Thanks

Charlie
The cells look like diatoms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back