Algae on the water surface?

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey all, so recently I have found on my nano and my frag tank. There is a film that is growing on the surface of the water. Both tanks have overflows and if I take a filter sock and run it through the water to clean the surface off and sift it, it looks like there is like a brown or reddish colored algae I am assuming has anyone ever experienced this and if so, do you know how to handle it because I am at a loss. I have to manually skim the surface of my tags at least twice a week.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing should be able to collect on the water surface. Should be a powerhead or wave maker aimed at the surface to agitate the surface, and put that stuff back into the water so the filters can pull it out. Stuff collecting on the water surface means that there is no gas exchange so oxygen not going into the water. That slick on the surface also decreases the effectiveness of the lights. It is an important part of our tank set ups to ensure the water surface is properly agitated and nothing can collect there.

OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I completely understand what you’re saying, but I do have my ReturnPump agitating the crap out of the surface of the water, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. My main display doesn’t have this problem. It’s only my smaller tanks and I’ve never experienced it before outside of agitating, the water more is there any other suggestions? Are there external or even internal surface Skimmers that we can buy

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back