Algae on Zoas?

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if this is algae? This FRAG doesn't seem o be opening much at all. The white specs I believe are sand because I moved it yesterday. Hoping it's not Zoapox...

Was thinking of another ReVive dip but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6557.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having lost a number of zoa frags to GHA overrun, I don't see any on yours. They may just be unhappy due to instability. I wouldn't do anything for a few days and see if they open up again.

How long have you had them?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having lost a number of zoa frags to GHA overrun, I don't see any on yours. They may just be unhappy due to instability. I wouldn't do anything for a few days and see if they open up again.

How long have you had them?

Had them about 3 weeks - pics in my build thread. They all opened up and were close to the frag. Some started reaching so I moved them 2 days ago to the center of the tank right under the light. Moved 2 back to close to a rock where they were loving it and now everything is closed. Could be stress like you said.

Saxby schedule on AI Prime HD - no acclimation mode - full strength. I'll give them a few days like you said. I have a few snails/ceriths that have seemed to die off which is weird...tank parameters are in great shape.

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks of it your tank hasn't been running long. I would blow them off with a turkey baster daily to help keep algae off. Other then that just let them be zoas are hardy.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. It’s either dinos, diatoms, or brown film algae. What are parameters? How old is the tank? Blow it off with a turkey baster.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas seem to do better in lower light for me. Also - anytime you move a coral, it stresses it out. Even if the move is ultimately to a better place, it will still take some time to get used to the change in environment.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. It’s either dinos, diatoms, or brown film algae. What are parameters? How old is the tank? Blow it off with a turkey baster.

Parameters are -

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76.4
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Approx. 5ppm
Alk: 7.896 dKH

I just blew it off with a turkey baster and the brown seemed to lighten up. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. Tank is just over a month old so it's likely that it's just part of the process...

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you have better luck, but I couldn't keep zoas alive until my tank was 9 months old.

Me too - high hopes! Just changed the lighting schedule to add more blue AI Prime Setting Pirates of the Caribbean ... I noticed the corals start opening with more blue mid morning on the Saxby setting. We'll try it out!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they want more light...they are reaching so I moved them up.

The others on the sand bed, which opened when I got them still haven't opened, been about 4-5 days. No coloration at all. Are they gone?

IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6583.JPG
IMG_6584.JPG

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try moving them to higher flow if you can. How much flow are they in currently?
The ones on the sand in the bottom of the tank probably aren’t getting much, in just afraid to move them and stress them out again. I have a nero5 running at 15% directly in the back middle of the tank. It’s a 20gal so I can definitely bump it up a bit and see. I’m afraid to lose them.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to confuse you even more, but just make sure they are getting a decent amount of light and flow, and leave them alone. I know it’s hard! Sometimes, they can take a week or two to open. From the pics, it looks like they’re about to.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the sand in the bottom of the tank probably aren’t getting much, in just afraid to move them and stress them out again. I have a nero5 running at 15% directly in the back middle of the tank. It’s a 20gal so I can definitely bump it up a bit and see. I’m afraid to lose them.
Me personally I would move them, the way its going now they dont look to happy. Moving them shouldnt negatively affect them too much

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that especially with a tank that’s not established, every time you move the coral to a new spot, change the lighting, adjust the flow, etc. you are resetting the clock. I had a similar experience when I stared reefing and I’ve since learned that stability is incredibly important. If you’re going to make changes, do so very gradually to minimize stress. Best of luck with the zoas!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would move them, the way its going now they dont look to happy. Moving them shouldnt negatively affect them too much
Keep in mind that especially with a tank that’s not established, every time you move the coral to a new spot, change the lighting, adjust the flow, etc. you are resetting the clock. I had a similar experience when I stared reefing and I’ve since learned that stability is incredibly important. If you’re going to make changes, do so very gradually to minimize stress. Best of luck with the zoas!

I'll move them to the middle of the tank and see if they like more light.

I really appreciate the advice!

Ckane2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice more GHA growing on the zoa’s consider doing a hydrogen peroxide dip, it’s worked very well for my zoas in the past with GHA on them

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice more GHA growing on the zoa’s consider doing a hydrogen peroxide dip, it’s worked very well for my zoas in the past with GHA on them

Other feedback I got was dose Hydrogen Peroxide in the tank itself, 1ml per gal. Thoughts?

What ratio should I use for the dip? Is that different than a ReVive dip? How long should I leave them in there?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back