OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice more GHA growing on the zoa’s consider doing a hydrogen peroxide dip, it’s worked very well for my zoas in the past with GHA on them

Just dipped them and will again in 48 hours if I don't see any progress. I read you can dip every other day for up to a week. Hoping this helps!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose h2o2 everyday, also your gonna want higher salinity with zoas like at least 1.026 or 1.027 and detectable p and n and they need iodine in the water at correct levels

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have the onset of dinos. From my experience dinos will cover Zoas and kill them. I lost half a colony to dinos. The dinos smother the zoas and they will melt away.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank you running, also those crazy saxby type settings are kinda whack , he is also using like a million lights. If yours are ai fixtures , the 20k preset is what you want then control the overall intensity , and like 4/ 5 hours of peak light the rest all blue ramp up /down

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have the onset of dinos. From my experience dinos will cover Zoas and kill them. I lost half a colony to dinos. The dinos smother the zoas and they will melt away.

The bubbles on the rocks have gone away. I just dipped the coral in hydrogen peroxide. I think it might have been diatoms but not totally sure. I am going to dose hydrogen peroxide tomorrow in the tank itself and start to see if that clears up some of the algae.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank you running, also those crazy saxby type settings are kinda whack , he is also using like a million lights. If yours are ai fixtures , the 20k preset is what you want then control the overall intensity , and like 4/ 5 hours of peak light the rest all blue ramp up /down
Where can I find the 20k preset?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on the manual tab it works out to be around 100 uv 100 blue 100 violet 100 royalblue 14 green 20red 25 white max settings on AI lights

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles on the rocks have gone away. I just dipped the coral in hydrogen peroxide. I think it might have been diatoms but not totally sure. I am going to dose hydrogen peroxide tomorrow in the tank itself and start to see if that clears up some of the algae.

Definitely keep an eye on it. If it is dinos they will come right back. They are hard to kill.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a bad bacterial issue that wiped out a lot of my zoas. If nothing helps and it gets worse, dose chemiclean. But do your research first. A lot to consider for success vs failure. Of course you can QT with chemiclean too.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms are from silicates ,they wont live without them and light p /n , the zoa fungus that melts colonies also zoapox, are bacterial and need a furan 2 dip if thats what you have, h202 dipping is for algae problems on a frag, and finally the ol fresh water dip RO same temp 5 mins , sometimes will wake up sleepy zoas colonies that are just being weird. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms are from silicates ,they wont live without them and light p /n , the zoa fungus that melts colonies also zoapox, are bacterial and need a furan 2 dip if thats what you have, h202 dipping is for algae problems on a frag, and finally the ol fresh water dip RO same temp 5 mins , sometimes will wake up sleepy zoas colonies that are just being weird. Hope this helps.

I didn't notice them having the white specs like zoapox. Will a h202 dip harm my fish and shrimp?

They definitely cleared up quite a bit after the h202 dip, bubbled a lot. hoping it was just algae.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you smack em in the face with concentrate h202 yea bad , but you need h202 in your water it helps in oxidization and radical chemistry chains , Im sure youll get it all figured out , also you can really overkill the light on em, they wont open for a while . best bet is 100-200 par max. not sure your lighting height /type/ amount or layout of tank.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you smack em in the face with concentrate h202 yea bad , but you need h202 in your water it helps in oxidization and radical chemistry chains , Im sure youll get it all figured out , also you can really overkill the light on em, they wont open for a while . best bet is 100-200 par max. not sure your lighting height /type/ amount or layout of tank.
Thanks.

Lighting is AI Prime 16HD 12-14" or so above tank. Just switched to 20k option. So 4 hour ramp, to 100% Blue, Royal Blue, UV, Viloet, 14% Green, 20% Red, 20% White, 4 hour ramp down. full light from 11a-7p.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they want more light...they are reaching so I moved them up.

The others on the sand bed, which opened when I got them still haven't opened, been about 4-5 days. No coloration at all. Are they gone?

IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6583.JPG
IMG_6584.JPG
Highly doubt it man. I had some unhappy zoas in my tank and they wouldn’t open for anything. Food weeks after dips moving them. Finally put em in another tank with a nutrient overload and they fully opened every single head. Zoas are weird but extremely hardy. They were closed in my tank for 2 months lol opened right up on the new tank

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move them to the middle of the tank and see if they like more light.

I really appreciate the advice!

Sure thing. One more piece of advise I can give you (this is also something I learned with experience) is to resist the urge to make changes for just one inhabitant. I will no longer make any changes to my system to try to accommodate one specimen. I will definitely consider flow, lighting, stocking, etc. as far as placement in the tank, but I’m not going to change things that are already working (remember stability is key) for one unhappy coral. If it doesn’t adjust and acclimate to my system, so be it - lesson learned. :)

Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back