Algae on zoas??

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I have a little algae on some zoa frags that are keepin em from opening? Imma scrub them but will that do? Or should I try dipping them in something as well

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip them in a 50/50 mix of ro/di and peroxide for 10 seconds

PhilipSKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever scrub them. Before the dip, I would try just using a turkey baster and try squirting it a couple times. I scrub with a light brush and it messed my zoos up. Took weeks to recover and heal

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrub them quickly with a 30% peroxide to 70% DT water mix. but i scrub them above the cup, out of the water with ...cut up pieces of ORIGINAL Mr clean magic erasers (do not use scented, supercharged, etc..etc..). they get in-between the zoas better (i cut some in thin slices) and are less harsh than any type of bristle brush. also you might want to increase your algae eating hermit and turbo snail population. i personally find that they help keep my zoas pretty clean.

Edited peroxide/DT water percentage.

Last edited:

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Don't scrub with a brush. The Mr. Clean eraser sounds intersting though.
Increased flow with caution. I find algae in my tank seems to thrive best in areas of very high flow.

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need to "dip" them, you can get away with dipping the magic eraser in the solution and "swabbing" the zoas with it. I had more survivors that way than dropping the zoas into the solution and letting them soak.

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot to add. keep a large clean bowl of DT water next to where you're treating the zoas. after scrubbing them put the zoas right in the clean DT water for a quick rinse.

Last edited:
Back