Algae outbreak

bandos507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Need some help. I've had my tank for over 2 years already and I have never had this issue. I don't run a skimmer bc I do water changes every 2 weeks and so it's never been an issue.

About 4 months I moved so I had to do a tank transfer. The thing I changed was the sand. I went from live sand to dry silica sand. Everything was fine up until a month ago. I can't seem to control the algae. Any tips ideas would be a great help!! I don't even know where to begin. Thanks!

0cccae1d6aef01a7b5c52159bef13175.jpg
24dc030076cbe8681102657e709513c1.jpg
41b064d61e8ca6d603d9fd88f3ea3049.jpg
bab6d6b4de4e48dd93d492caa7c32874.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a break down answer.
Because you have moved to a new place. Your water is now different I am guessing. Check for phosphates, the pH, and nitrates in the water before it goes in the tank. If you are making your own water. With an RO/DI system. Test to make sure the membrane is still good. If you are getting water from a place. Test that water. Their membranes might be garbage.
Since you are in a new place. There might be less O² in the room bringing your pH down. Which gives your tank more CO². Which keeps algae healthy due to it being a plant. Now because it is a plant. Light amount and time plays a role as well. If the tank is near a window getting direct sunlight. That will also help feed algae.
Nutrient export is always a key factor.
You have a fox face and yellow tang. Probably the reason why you never had a problem before. They are known for chowing the stuff. Why now they are not keeping up with the job I am stumped.
With phosphates. There is organic and inorganic phosphates. You could be testing for it, but now that you have the GHA. The GHA can pull the phosphates from the water faster than you can test for it. Showing your phosphate test at 0.
The sponge in your filter, filter floss, or filter socks(not sure which you have) is collecting algae that dies off. Make sure you are constantly cleaning those. If you let dead GHA sit in that area. While it decays. It is basically dumping more phosphates into the tank. Making your filtration now a nutrients reactor. Keeping your algae healthy.
More agitation on your surface will help with gas exchange. More O² = less CO² = higher pH = weakening/malnourishment for the algae.
Flow on your live rock as well is key. So things do not settle like detritus.
I have a protein skimmer, rinse a sponge and change filter floss everyday, and do weekly water changes and still have GHA.
You may have a leeching of nutrients from your live rock also from die off from the transfer as well.
Hope that helps. I am sure others will add to the mix. Some will say GFO helps. Make sure you use the right amount if you chose to use it. IT CAN MELT SOFT CORALS IN A MATTER OF A DAY.

Back