Biocube 32 algae outbreak need help

Rob361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need some help. Unsure if this is a hair algae outbreak or Dino’s? Or idk. But I’ve noticed the tank has lately after like a couple days, there’s a film that shows up on the surface of the water, and I’m assuming the overflow isn’t flowing correctly or sucking right? I have to toothbrush the opening like 3 times a week just to witness flow flowing through the teeth. I’ve noticed algae in the rocks it was going away but now it’s coming back and now it’s on the sand.

I have the intank media basket and I know it slows down the overflow a bit than normal but I wouldn’t think it’s this bad. I have the stock return pump and 2 koralia nano 425 on the tank.

I just did a 5 gallon water change on Saturday, cleaned the pumps, and replace the floss like every other day. Also put new carbon in the media basket. What can I do to remedy this? Cheeto refug in the middle chamber? Uv sterilizer?
IMG_8069.jpeg
IMG_8070.jpeg IMG_8071.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cloudy water makes me think bacterial bloom. You certainly shouldn't have film forming on the surface, and if you do you need to add some surface agitation asap. This helps with oxygenation as well.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need some help. Unsure if this is a hair algae outbreak or Dino’s? Or idk. But I’ve noticed the tank has lately after like a couple days, there’s a film that shows up on the surface of the water, and I’m assuming the overflow isn’t flowing correctly or sucking right? I have to toothbrush the opening like 3 times a week just to witness flow flowing through the teeth. I’ve noticed algae in the rocks it was going away but now it’s coming back and now it’s on the sand.

I have the intank media basket and I know it slows down the overflow a bit than normal but I wouldn’t think it’s this bad. I have the stock return pump and 2 koralia nano 425 on the tank.

I just did a 5 gallon water change on Saturday, cleaned the pumps, and replace the floss like every other day. Also put new carbon in the media basket. What can I do to remedy this? Cheeto refug in the middle chamber? Uv sterilizer?
IMG_8069.jpeg
IMG_8070.jpeg IMG_8071.jpeg
Until recently, I would have said your system was experiencing a bacteria bloom. Now I would say it is a microorganism bloom. i was able to produce similar cloudiness in two experimental aquaria that turned out to be a dinoflagellate bloom.

A UV sterilizer might help rid a bacteria or dinoflagellate bloom.

OP
OP
Rob361

Rob361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone for the late response, Um this has been up and running for about 7-9 months? no problems until recently? maybe i should switch water places and go back to my LFS? ive been using a water mill thing for about 2 months now. maybe they dont change their filters enough? im not sure

OP
OP
Rob361

Rob361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and the cloudiness was just on the glass, ill take a new pic with glass scraped clean

OP
OP
Rob361

Rob361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is update pic and vid of surface agitation

Attachments

• IMG_8072.jpeg
    IMG_8072.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8074.mov
    7 MB

LargeFarrva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly high phosphates, id say maybe throw a bag of phosguard in there. Id recommend dosing some microbacter 7 and consistant water changes. You test you water lately? Maybe grab a sample when the algae is bad again and check phosphates

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is update pic and vid of surface agitation
I'd say the...dirty glass helped cloud the issue.

Might check with the water mill in regards to how they filter their water... If it's heavy in silicates, might explain the bloom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back