Can I help this bubble coral?

kenilworth-reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
5
Location
Oak Park
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve got a bubble coral that got a little damaged when I put it in the tank. It’s doing well for the most part, but I’ve noticed at night when it recedes, there’s a little bit if hair algae growing on the exposed skeleton. I’ve read about using h2o2 for algae on corals, but I know bubble corals are very delicate so I don’t want to hurt it more on accident. Do I spot treat it? Full h2o2 dip? Leave it alone?

Any advice is appreciated! TIA!!

IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg
 
Hi all,

I’ve got a bubble coral that got a little damaged when I put it in the tank. It’s doing well for the most part, but I’ve noticed at night when it recedes, there’s a little bit if hair algae growing on the exposed skeleton. I’ve read about using h2o2 for algae on corals, but I know bubble corals are very delicate so I don’t want to hurt it more on accident. Do I spot treat it? Full h2o2 dip? Leave it alone?

Any advice is appreciated! TIA!!

IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg
Damaged corals personally for me get a 5 ish minute dip in Seachem Reef Dip at the recommended dose in 1 gallon of tank water. Reef Dip is a iodine based coral dip that aids in healing and acts as a disinfectant to prevent infections and diseases. I have used peroxide for alage on corals but i cant attest to the survivability of it with your specific coral. Coral rx typically does well for pest and some types of alage too. The risk of it not surviving dips is certainly considerable but the risk of a damaged coral getting infected and passing that infection to others is more of a risk than one not surviving treatment. Overall the decision is yours to research and make
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new