Algae problem.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing and purchased this 90 gallon from a friend a month ago. He wasn't looking over it very good and it has green algae all over the sand. The algae are sticking to the sand so I can't siphon it out. I have a lawnmower blenny in that tank that is eating a lot of it but it cant eat it all. These are the options I am thinking of.
1) Removing the sand and adding new live sand.
2) Adding some fish to eat all of the algae over time.
3) Covering it with new live sand thinking it will kill it.
20201101_164241.jpg
20201101_164238.jpg
20201101_164231.jpg

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Evaluate parameters such as light (intensity and ruation), NO3, and PO4 to make sure they are not really helping to grow algae out of control.
2. Add a couple of algae eaters (I like @Pistondog suggestion, our foxfaces eat algae well)
3. Some people like Vibrant. I have mixed reviews on vibrant (more favorable than bad, but not as good as some people make it out to be). Vibrant can be hard on chaeto if you are running a refugium.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing and purchased this 90 gallon from a friend a month ago. He wasn't looking over it very good and it has green algae all over the sand. The algae are sticking to the sand so I can't siphon it out. I have a lawnmower blenny in that tank that is eating a lot of it but it cant eat it all. These are the options I am thinking of.
1) Removing the sand and adding new live sand.
2) Adding some fish to eat all of the algae over time.
3) Covering it with new live sand thinking it will kill it.
20201101_164241.jpg
20201101_164238.jpg
20201101_164231.jpg
bubble algae?

FB_IMG_1604068222178.jpg FB_IMG_1604068235586.jpg
Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.
Don’t do anything rash. You could make things worse.your tank is still new. This is a normal.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @JGT and manually remove it. Siphon it out with that first layer of sand that it's connected to. At least it's not all over the rock.

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @JGT and manually remove it. Siphon it out with that first layer of sand that it's connected to. At least it's not all over the rock.
That will probably remove almost all the sand. Should I then add new sand to replace the one I remove.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple of emerald crabs and the one spot foxface .
Algae is normal. Don't worry too much about it.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just what happens to sand if you dont vacuume it or have dedicated sand sifter clean up crew. New sand will look like this too so that isn't a good solution. Get a sand vac and vacuume 1/4 tank every week. + Get some sifting critters

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably remove almost all the sand. Should I then add new sand to replace the one I remove.

take the time to order the hanna ulr ppm phosphate checker and the salifert or nyos nitrate test kits.

https://www.marinedepot.com/nyos-reefer-test-kit-nitrate

to be honest:
we all have to test with good kits to see where we stand, so we can make the right adjustment for the long haul.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont see anything out of norm. Pics Do suggest a lack of clean up crew and possible presence of Phosphates.
Check and report : Phosphate level, ammonia, nitrate, ph and salinity
Reduce white light intensity slightly.
Add:
turbo, astrea, nerite, nassarius (4) and trochus snails and about 6 blue leg hermits.

* Are you using RODI water or tap water from Faucet ?
* Is tank at or near a window ??

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything out of norm. Pics Do suggest a lack of clean up crew and possible presence of Phosphates.
Check and report : Phosphate level, ammonia, nitrate, ph and salinity
Reduce white light intensity slightly.
Add:
turbo, astrea, nerite, nassarius (4) and trochus snails and about 6 blue leg hermits.

* Are you using RODI water or tap water from Faucet ?
* Is tank at or near a window ??
I have a bunch of hermits, about 3 snails. Planning to add more.
This algae didn't appear after I got the tank. The algae came with the tank when I bought it from a friend. I am using RODI water. Thank you so much for answering. Can't believe this website exists where people of the same interest can come together and share their successes, mistakes, and problems. Thank you to everyone for helping.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took over a tank in a similar situation I was also dealing with a major algae outbreak.
Pick all of it out you can.
Change 20% of the water.
Use algaefix from API. Follow the directions.
Cut down the lighting cycle to at most 6 hrs.
Let the blenny and clean up create get to work.

Back