Algae - Recurring Problem

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had this 180-gal tank for two years, but starting last September there is an annoying problem. It looked like red slime algae so I kept the lights out for three days after one water change and it was totally clear but immediately started back the next day. Since then I have the lights on blue only for 8 hours per day. I dosed it twice with Chem Clean following all the instructions. What seemed to be red, now changed to green and unfortunately, I lost my PBT and yellow eye kole tang in the process. All my parameters have been in line using APi testing kit. I do 10% weekly water changes using RO/DI and vacuum sand every other day. I saw the BRS TV experiment using Vibrant so I have been using that for the last two months, with my skimmer and UV sterilizer on. At first, there was gradual progress every week, but now the algae (or whatever it is) is building up again even after dosing Vibrant. Please help with some advice because I'm at my wit's end and ready to throw in the towel.
Thank you.

Algae1.jpg Algae2.jpg f2.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, while Vibrant works - you should be aware that it's potentially an algaecide and there can be inherent risks with its use. It's hard to tell from the images, but it looks like either cyano or dinos (or some combination thereof). You may want to post your actual parameters so we can have a look at them. Finally, API test kits are notoriously unreliable - so you may want to invest in better ones, ie: Aquaforest, Nyos, Red Sea, Salifert and Hanna.

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, while Vibrant works - you should be aware that it's potentially an algaecide and there can be inherent risks with its use. It's hard to tell from the images, but it looks like either cyano or dinos (or some combination thereof). You may want to post your actual parameters so we can have a look at them. Finally, API test kits are notoriously unreliable - so you may want to invest in better ones, ie: Aquaforest, Nyos, Red Sea, Salifert and Hanna.
Thank you. I’ve ordered the Hanna phosphate and nitrate checkers and will post as soon as they arrive and I test again.

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ve ordered the Hanna phosphate and nitrate checkers and will post as soon as they arrive and I test again.
Blaxsun, I received my Hanna kits today and got the following results: Phosphate 0.11 and Nitrate 11.1. My weekly water change will be tomorrow.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to bad. I would stop throwing chemicals at it because you will open the door to further problems. Siphon up what you can. Get some flow on the sand. Get a conch to stir up the sand for you. Cut lights to 6 hours blue and UV only no whites. Dose some good bacteria like PNS probio.

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to bad. I would stop throwing chemicals at it because you will open the door to further problems. Siphon up what you can. Get some flow on the sand. Get a conch to stir up the sand for you. Cut lights to 6 hours blue and UV only no whites. Dose some good bacteria like PNS probio.
Thank you! Will do.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back