Can someone please help identify this type of algae

shawn95id

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2022
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Location
Idaho Falls
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 year old tank that looks amazing in the morning but by the end of the day each day is covered (not entirely but enough to be discouraging) in a brown-tinted algae of some type that I can’t identify or can’t seem to eradicate. My nitrates are at 2 and my phosphates are at .06. (Trying to slowly bring my nitrates up by dosing a nitrate additive.) I’m doing 10% water changes every 2 weeks with 0 tds RODI water. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8405.jpeg
 
I have a 2 year old tank that looks amazing in the morning but by the end of the day each day is covered (not entirely but enough to be discouraging) in a brown-tinted algae of some type that I can’t identify or can’t seem to eradicate. My nitrates are at 2 and my phosphates are at .06. (Trying to slowly bring my nitrates up by dosing a nitrate additive.) I’m doing 10% water changes every 2 weeks with 0 tds RODI water. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8405.jpeg
I think that since the sand is clean in the morning and then browning by the end of the day this points to dinos. Hopefully others with more experience with this will weigh in soon.
 
I think that since the sand is clean in the morning and then browning by the end of the day this points to dinos. Hopefully others with more experience with this will weigh in soon.
That would make sense. I initially ruled that out because I naively thought dynos were a “new tank” problem but on further research it seems likely that’s what it is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe my nitrate value of 2 is causing this. Or my recent chemiclean blast of a cyano outbreak. Man this hobby can be frustrating at times!
 
That would make sense. I initially ruled that out because I naively thought dynos were a “new tank” problem but on further research it seems likely that’s what it is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe my nitrate value of 2 is causing this. Or my recent chemiclean blast of a cyano outbreak. Man this hobby can be frustrating at times!
It certainly can be!!!! Chemiclean can certainly do it. And yes, raising nutrients a bit should help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new