Algae Scrubber vs bio pellets ? what should be better ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dragonfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dragonfish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2014
Messages
636
Reaction score
298
Location
israel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a reactore for the bio pellets but i start to think that in the long run the scrubber will be cheaper and better
any ppl here with experince with both ?
 
Biopellets can be tricky to dial in and you can accidentally strip the tank of too much nutrients. Like I did :D. That can not happen with an ATS. I have run pellets in the past and always had challenges with stability. That's why I switched to vinegar dosing, more precise. I haven't tried an ATS cause I now have a refugium that takes care of that.
Also BP will remove nitrate proportionately more than phosphate so you will still need to address phosphates. IMO, based on what ive read about ATS they do better at removing both.
 
I wouldn't say bio pellets are tricky to dial in. But if you start with recommended amount or close to it right away you will probably have a lot of problems. I started with about 1/4 amount and after a month or so I added more. I ran about half recommended amount. And it takes a while for them to colonize but be patient they do work. Make sure the effluent goes directly to your skimmer. If you go slow you will be fine.
I also have an algae scrubber. But the screen growth is just starting to take off so can't comment yet on how effective it is, but a friend of mine runs the same scrubber and has had great results. If you do get a scrubber get a good one that will work for your setup. Turbos aquatics makes awesome scrubbers and so does Santa Monica turf scrubbers.
 
I personally vote for liquid carbon dosing with a pump and timer over pellets or ATS.
 
I am running bacteria do dosing prodibio stuff + SM up flow scrubber. Tank is doing great.
uploadfromtaptalk1430852319512.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new