Algae scrubber vs light reactor

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a refugium on my 300g. I am tired of the mess it makes in my sump. What do you prefer and why? Algae scrubber or Algae reactor.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a refugium on my 300g. I am tired of the mess it makes in my sump. What do you prefer and why? Algae scrubber or Algae reactor.
I have a separate sump for the algae. I call it the Ulva Pond. I prefer it to a reactor because I can decide which algae will be the dominant species. Harvesting is very easy and estimating the growth per week is trivial. I can also easily adjust the amount of algae and therefore nitrate removal rate. It is very inexpensive to set up (if you have the room for one).

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a separate sump for the algae. I call it the Ulva Pond. I prefer it to a reactor because I can decide which algae will be the dominant species. Harvesting is very easy and estimating the growth per week is trivial. I can also easily adjust the amount of algae and therefore nitrate removal rate. It is very inexpensive to set up (if you have the room for one).
I don't think I would have the room. Also growing algae in my refugium has a oder and kind of stinks. I can smell the algae everytime I open the stand door.

Back