Algae scrubber

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by IDAN, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

1. IDAN

IDAN Member

what are the benefits by having a scrubber?
    as far as my understanding is to keep phosphate and nitrate levels down? doesn't it can cause having Dino algae?
    I am a little lost here...

Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I'm not familiar with it causing dinos, but maybe someone else will chime in about that.

The general concept of a scrubber is that you provide an ideal growing location for algae in a location you define. The algae grows so well there that it can't grow at all or at well in your display. The effect is that you allow the algae to do its thing, but only where you want it to so you display is algae free. The algae will continue to feed on excess nutrients, like nitrates and phosphates, and when you clean the scrubber you are exporting those nutrients.

Hemmdog likes this.
  3. ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare Well-Known Member

They can cause dinos if you have no biodiversity and it bottoms out your nitrates and phosphates. You can bottom out and not have dinos in a mature tank but your corals will hate you. Thats why some ppl have to dial them down like they do with their fuges.

Hemmdog, theMeat and TheEngineer like this.
  4. IDAN

IDAN Member

i guess this is what happens to me few months ago

Hemmdog likes this.
  5. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Mine (Clearwater 100) has reduce Po and No levels as well as the overall algae in the tank and has caused my skimmer to work less. Glad I installed one

6. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Active Member R2R Supporter

Are they hard to clean? Do they require a hazmat suit?

7. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Super easy to clean ( have a soft scrub brush for it) and generates a sheet of algae about every 4-6 days. No mess when cleaning

Hemmdog likes this.
  8. IDAN

IDAN Member

You can make one DIY, I have one and I works great when I had it.
    I am not sure yet if to install it back.
    are you dosing Ph and Na to keep the levels up?

Draft saved Draft deleted