Algae turf scrubber vs cheato reactor

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small sump and not a lot of room. Considering the Paxbellum chaeto reactor but just read a write up on the Santa Monica Rain 4 Algae Scrubber which looks like may require less space. Any suggestions or advice here would be much appreciated.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both an Algae turf scrubber in an Algae reactor. In fact I replaced my ATS with a reactor. They will both work perfectly fine, it really comes down to preference. I will say the Pax bellum that I have took a little learning curve to use. If you decide to go that route message me and I’ll help you out.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out the Tunze MAR? Think is has a smaller footprint and cheaper than Pax. I had very good success growing chaeto with the Tunze. Look for a used one for about 1/2 price of new.

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out the Tunze MAR? Think is has a smaller footprint and cheaper than Pax. I had very good success growing chaeto with the Tunze. Look for a used one for about 1/2 price of new.
Hmmm...looks very interesting. Only issue is my tank is 300 gallons and it seems I would need the larger one, the smaller one would definitely fit my space better. Think I could use the smaller one and just harvest more often?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...looks very interesting. Only issue is my tank is 300 gallons and it seems I would need the larger one, the smaller one would definitely fit my space better. Think I could use the smaller one and just harvest more often?
Tunze MAR is rated up to 160 gallons. Not sure this would work for 300 gallons.

Sounds good in theory about the frequent harvesting but not sure it would work in reality. You need a certain volume of chaeto in the reactor and flow through that chaeto for effectiveness.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back