Algae what really causes it

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done much manual removal? I think it is necessary for success to take the steps you are taking as well as manual removal. When you do make sure that you have a container of water to dip your hand after you have pulled a bunch out so you don't release fine pieces of the algae to re-establish around your tank.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an egg crate rack? How old is that? Some egg crate leaches really bad. I have also seen some of the cheaper acrylic racks cause some problems. I had a buddy get sent a cheap acrylic rack that was made from low grade acrylic from china. That thing would grow algae on it like no ones business. The encased magnets were all rusted up when he took them out of the tank. I have used racks from the Blue Glow. They use acrylic made in the US. As long as you take them out and clean them from time to time they are a really good option. Keep detritus from settleing on the racks. My LFS just keeps two sets of racks. They swap them and clean them every few months. Makes a big difference.

Take your rack out and give it a soak in vinegar and water. I know some use a bleach and water mix but I do not know what concentration. Scrub the plugs clean and try that. Reduce your photoperiod to about six hours for a week and slowly take it back up about a half hour a week.

Also test your calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. A shift in the water chemistry will make it a more desirable environment for algae growth. Get some grazers. Mexican turbo snails always are my number one option.

And do not rule out lights being the problem. One bad bulb can cause a spectral shift. Even new bulbs can be defective on occasion. Replace them one at a time. Maybe one bulb a week. Hold on to the old bulbs. If it turns out lighting isn't the issue you still have those bulbs to reuse. So it will not be a waste.

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know if your egg crate is leaching phosphates? How do you know which ones to avoid? Just got some myself from Home Depot.. just want to make sure I am avoiding all problems.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both egg crate and acrylic racks. Both are from FL manufactures. I have no idea where their supply comes from, but like most companies, maybe the cheapest. The acry. racks are maybe a year old and the egg crates less than 8 months. I have taken all plugs and racks old at least every other month for cleaning. I soak them in bleach water than let them soak in regular water for a few hours. The egg crates are black or were. All the coraline algae made them pink then white from the bleach water.

I pull off as much of the algae I can from the plugs. I even once used a new fine tooth brush. Well I must have gotten too close to the acutual corals. I lost my Miami Hurricane chalice it statrted it recede slowly evey day till it was gone. I never did it again I loved that piece, had it since one eye and before I cleaned it there were over 15 eyes overgrowing the frag plug. Still brings tears to my eyes.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you want to stick with the PVC egg crate. I always thought the black stuff was OK. The PVC stuff is a solid white and a little thicker. It generally costs a little more too. I will be honest, I don't use egg crate so I am sure there is someone else that can give you a better informed answer.

Back