Algae

Chris1559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question. Is it possible to run to much carbon? If so could it be a reason for GHA outbreak. I went at least month with no fish and not feeding anything in my tank. All I had was three mushrooms and some zoas. Not a lot. I was doing 10% water changes every week and still had algae growing. I wrapped my tank in towels for three days and none if the GHA was gone. I think it grew more over that time. I am running a canister filter and every water change I clean out the canister. I started using seachem matrix carbon and I'm wondering if too much carbon is causing the outbreak. Is that possible? Any help would be great. I was using RODI water from my lfs but recently purchased my own 4 stage from BRS. Any help would be great. Thanks

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a little time. It will calm down as long as you keep up the good maintenance. Algae is going to grow in your tank. It is healthy. Your tank will find a balance but it takes time. If your tank is big enough you could get a tank to eat macro algae and get a lawnmower blenny to eat some of the other algae. Hermit crabs and snails are also helpful with algae.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try a 3 day black out? Is that what you meant when you wrapped your tank in towels?

I did a 3 day black out on my tank and it worked awesome for nuisance algae. Shut off the lights for 3 days and put a blanket over the tank to keep it pitch black. Since you have no fish to feed then this is a perfect time to do it.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water parameters? I suspect you may have some phosphates. You also need to test ro water for phosphates. And no carbon should not cause algae issues.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water parameters? I suspect you may have some phosphates. You also need to test ro water for phosphates. And no carbon should not cause algae issues.
Agreed.
Instead of running to much carbon, you should be running GFO. Or Dosing a Phospahte remover.
But, if you did a lights out like you said, and it didn't go away, Im now thinking Bryposis, but its just a thought.
If you could post a pic that would be great, and also post your Nitrate and Phosphate numbers for the gang.

OP
OP
C

Chris1559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change 2 days ago. Before my next water change ill test my water again. 24 hours after water change phosphates and nitrites are both at zero. I'll take a pic as it grows back.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, if your numbers come out at 0, and its still growing, then I'd say the stuff is Bryopsis.
images

bryop_pen.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back