Algae??

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1484177936337.jpeg

So looks like I'm starting to grow some algae, tank has been running 3 weeks now can you guys confirm? I have 2 red legged hermit and a nassarius snail. Should I buy something else to combat the algae?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1484177936337.jpeg

So looks like I'm starting to grow some algae, tank has been running 3 weeks now can you guys confirm? I have 2 red legged hermit and a nassarius snail. Should I buy something else to combat the algae?

What is you nutrient level, Po4 and No3

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing algae in a new tank is pretty normal, just don't let it get too out of control. The tank may be cycled to handle your bio load, but it's not established yet.

Pick up a nitrate and phosphate test kit. If your tank is cycled, nitrite along with ammonia shouldn't be a problem.

At this early, I wouldn't go crazy dosing or adding stuff. Just watch your levels and manually remove if needed.

Article on aquarium chemistry
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley.173563/

Test kits. (This is a pretty in depth article. Don't drive yourself crazy picking a test kit. Just linked it to show the different kits out there.)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the standard test kits ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. I'll have to go pick up a phosphate test. Right now as of last night I have .25 ammonia and 0 for nitrites and nitrates. Doing a 4 gallon WC tonight. I have a 20 gallon tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back