Invert stocking

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Fluval Evo 13.5 has been setup since October and has had a lot of algae up until late February. I started out with 3 trochus snails and 3 electric blue legged hermit crabs (I think one or two of these are just blue legged). The trochus lasted about 3 months and then randomly died. I replaced them with a tuxedo urchin. I still had lengthy gha then and it didn’t go away so I lowered the water level and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide. This worked very well and most of the algae died while the remaining got weakened and eaten by the crabs and urchin. Although I only sprayed the algae on the top rock, all other gha on the sand and other rocks died as well!

As of now, I still have that same urchin and the same hermit crabs. I don’t have any more gha but I still have some algae on the glass that won’t get off and some of my rocks are a little greenish. Will the inverts I currently have handle these types of algae? If not, should I add something like a snail or a small conch? I was going to add a strawberry/tiger conch when I still had algae on my sand. I’d also like to ask if my tank is too clean? I’m not sure how to tell whether or not the inverts are hungry/starving. I heard crabs can eat coral if they don’t have enough to eat. I think all of my inverts are pretty small.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do not know what algae you have on the rock or glass.
Try scraping the glass with a razor blade to get the “won’t come off algae” off

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back