Urchin ate small toadstool

  • Thread starter Thread starter EricR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2021
Messages
3,174
Reaction score
3,319
Location
California USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newish urchin ate a small toadstool overnight.
*pictures below

My primary questions are:
1. What type of urchin do you think this is?
2. Is this type of urchin known to eat leathers or other soft corals (or LPS) ?


Urchin purchased as “Halloween urchin” from online vendor, received 7/24/2026 (so 1 month ago).
Doesn’t look very “Halloweeny” but I assumed that was because it lost a lot of spines in shipping.

Tiny toadstool has a long back-story of neglect but was discovered (forgotten in back of tank) and remounted many months ago (early 2026).
Toadstool has been doing fine and growing (albeit maybe oddly-shaped) for many months.

Toadstool looked fine during the day.
Urchin was found on top of toadstool the next morning with most of the toadstool gone, down to a nub.


Here’s the urchin:
urchin_halloween_2026_07a.JPG


urchin_halloween1.JPG



Here’s the only close-up I could find of the toadstool (from about 3 months ago):
*toadstool actually had more growth than this now but just to give some reference
decrepit_toadstool1.JPG


Here’s the toadstool now:
toadstool_nub.jpeg



I assume responses will be that toadstool was likely dying/decaying but, while not impossible, doesn’t fit with my recent visual observations.
If urchin is a coral eater, I might want to try to “direct” it to some zoa or Kenya tree overgrowth before I remove it.
 
Now that I have time I looked into it more. Looks like the species you have is 'Salmacis bicolor' which eats sea pens, soft bodied corals, and coral polyps as a secondary part of their diet
Interesting. Will have to look into that more.
Thanks for the tip.
 
Now that I have time I looked into it more. Looks like the species you have is 'Salmacis bicolor' which eats sea pens, soft bodied corals, and coral polyps as a secondary part of their diet (
Yeah,,, I think you nailed it.
"Salmacis bicolor" and some, similar, Salmacis urchins seem to have same caution about soft-bodied corals potentially being on the menu, like you said.

Quick aside notes:
One night it was camped out in the middle of a pretty large GSP patch so I left it to see what would happen but the GSP looked fine the next day.

Last night I left it starting to climb up a Kenya tree but, again, didn't see any damage this morning. (Urchin may have given up before getting high enough to get to polyps but who knows).

Anyway, thanks again.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new