AlgaeBarn...Is it all just hype?

SLVRADO

Dakota Reef Keepers Founder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot to be said about a customer business relationship. Businesses need to tacare of their customers, but customers need to give the business a chance to make things right!

I have to say that @AlgaeBarn is an outstanding business! I buy their phyto, algae, and pods and all of them are not only crazy good quality but also very healthy. Their pods have always been so thick, and their chaeto cleaner and healthier than even I can keep it!

On top of that, @AlgaeBarn has continued to support local reef clubs around the country with a smile on their face. I will always support businesses that stand behind their products and customers.

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 130 gallon system that I regularly added algaebarn pods to for a green mandarinfish. During a severe icestorm my tank crashed and everything died. Now, over a year later I am starting up a 320 gallon system and ordered macrophage and pods from Algaebarn. I discovered that I still had $80 worth of rewards points to use for the purchase! Pretty thrilled about that.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 130 gallon system that I regularly added algaebarn pods to for a green mandarinfish. During a severe icestorm my tank crashed and everything died. Now, over a year later I am starting up a 320 gallon system and ordered macrophage and pods from Algaebarn. I discovered that I still had $80 worth of rewards points to use for the purchase! Pretty thrilled about that.
Thank you for the support! Glad to hear you are getting back into the hobby after that devastating freeze! :)

DiazE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not read the entire forum and I am looking into ordering the eco package. Are any of you running a skimmer? Worried about my skimmer pulling out all the added stuff. What are the adding instructions?

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tell you to add after dark with your pumps off, into the rocks if possible. I use an old Christmas tree funnel. I put the end of the spout among the rocks and pour the pods into the top. :)

DiazE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the phyto, bacteria or zooplankcton being pulled out by skimmer when pumps go back go.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can’t physically see baby pods. AB has a good reputation so if you have issues contact them.
You can see baby pods. They are all at least 50 micron. I culture pods and started two tanks in Dec. I add Pods to both tanks every couple of weeks. They don't live more than a couple of days. IMO, it's a waste of time to add Pods to a new tank. My cultures are in 5g tubs. I add what would probably costs hundreds of dollars at a time. 3 days later there are none to be found. I culture Tisbe, Tigger, and Apocyclops. Tiggers are a waste of money. Mandarin don't eat them, they don't eat ditritus, and they live in the water column so pretty much get immediately stuck in the skimmer and filter socks. I believe that they are only added to packs because they are easy to see.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about the phyto, bacteria or zooplankcton being pulled out by skimmer when pumps go back go.
Hi there,

We recommend waiting till the lights are off in your aquarium, and as another user stated, add them near your rockwork. You can also add some to your sump as well. Before you go to add the pods, the Phytoplankton, or any bacteria, you will want to leave your return pump on and turn off your skimmer, power heads, and any other filtration that you have. You can leave that equipment off for as little or as long as you want. But it would be best to leave it off at a minimum of 30 min to give everyone a chance to hide before turning the power heads, skimmer, uv filter or any other equipment back on. I hope that information helps!

~Sam

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see baby pods. They are all at least 50 micron. I culture pods and started two tanks in Dec. I add Pods to both tanks every couple of weeks. They don't live more than a couple of days. IMO, it's a waste of time to add Pods to a new tank. My cultures are in 5g tubs. I add what would probably costs hundreds of dollars at a time. 3 days later there are none to be found. I culture Tisbe, Tigger, and Apocyclops. Tiggers are a waste of money. Mandarin don't eat them, they don't eat ditritus, and they live in the water column so pretty much get immediately stuck in the skimmer and filter socks. I believe that they are only added to packs because they are easy to see.
I used to add Tiggers to my small tanks with the lights on, before I had the 90 gallon tank. When I added them to the tank my spotted mandarin, clown, and damsel would go nuts chasing them down. It's true that they didn't react to the pods as much in the bigger 90 gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back