alge id. and how to get rid of it

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have carbon and phosguard in the same reactor? I'd split those up. You can plug the 45 of one reactors "out" directly into the "in" of another reactor. This will let you run both off the same pump.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so running too much carbon can cause this? if so i think that may be it. i am running a reactor with carbon with a strong flow and phosguard mixed in as well
No carbon won't cause cyano bacteria.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have carbon and phosguard in the same reactor? I'd split those up. You can plug the 45 of one reactors "out" directly into the "in" of another reactor. This will let you run both off the same pump.
Why.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep them separate. I run the carbon first and the second reactor has my GFO. Carbon can handle faster flow than the GFO. Plus the carbon won't grind up my GFO. I set the flow to where the GFO is shaking like an earthquake, maybe a little fluidized.

OP
OP
Jerzyray

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always true. Also likes high co2 , light , dissolved organics and does need nitrates. Will also feed on other organic carbon sources, and loves aminos as the break down quite quickly.
well i have bin adding vinager to my top off water and adding acropwoer. could that be it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep them separate. I run the carbon first and the second reactor has my GFO. Carbon can handle faster flow than the GFO. Plus the carbon won't grind up my GFO. I set the flow to where the GFO is shaking like an earthquake, maybe a little fluidized.
Carbon will fall apart in in a fluidized reactor and water needs to pass through it for it to work. Gfo needs a fludised reactor generally so all surfaces are exposed so it can bind more efficiently. Running gfo or aluminum oxide in a Lowe bin flidised reactor just limits the efficiency of it.

It's an alge. Grab a toothbrush and some snails. A fish might eat it.

My po4 is just under .20. I have no cyano.

OP
OP
Jerzyray

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon will fall apart in in a fluidized reactor and water needs to pass through it for it to work. Gfo needs a fludised reactor generally so all surfaces are exposed so it can bind more efficiently. Running gfo or aluminum oxide in a Lowe bin flidised reactor just limits the efficiency of it.

thats what i was thinking. cuz my water is spot on. I test for every thing, my LFS was out of snails so i hAVE to wait till wed, I was thinking on a yellow tank? what you think?

OP
OP
Jerzyray

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have my reactor packed tight. no movement. is that ok?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i was thinking. cuz my water is spot on. I test for every thing, my LFS was out of snails so i hAVE to wait till wed, I was thinking on a yellow tank? what you think?
Does it blow of is the question.
It could be an accumulation becuse the flow is dropping stuff there or some weird micro organism thing died.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with salty that phosphates aren't always the issue. I battled cyano with phosphates 0.01 verified with Hannah ulr and triton. I tried everything to get rid of it. I stopped skimming and only running an algae turf scrubber because nitrates and phosphates were hitting 0 and 3 weeks later it went away. I am guessing mine was feeding off CO2.
Not always true. Also likes high co2 , light , dissolved organics and does need nitrates. Will also feed on other organic carbon sources, and loves aminos as the break down quite quickly.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have my reactor packed tight. no movement. is that ok?
Like both of us were saying , brouncinf the gfo is best , but not a need, carbon tight , it's fine.

Mine gfo Ian actually in a bag in my reactor , I don't want it to strip the water too fast.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with salty that phosphates aren't always the issue. I battled cyano with phosphates 0.01 verified with Hannah ulr and triton. I tried everything to get rid of it. I stopped skimming and only running an algae turf scrubber because nitrates and phosphates were hitting 0 and 3 weeks later it went away. I am guessing mine was feeding off CO2.

The Hannah meter is testing for free phosphates, it can't tell what's in the rock and sand, or bound up in algae or cyano.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hannah meter is testing for free phosphates, it can't tell what's in the rock and sand, or bound up in algae or cyano.
Po4 reaches an equilibrium with the surrounding water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back