Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171015_164609.jpg

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano, I've never been able to grow it green though. Mine has always been red.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Cyanobacteria aka blue/green algae. It's indicative of high phosphates.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off? Or hard and has to be scraped ?
Good call on the snails. No clue if a tank will eat it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Cyanobacteria aka blue/green algae. It's indicative of high phosphates.
Not always true. Also likes high co2 , light , dissolved organics and does need nitrates. Will also feed on other organic carbon sources, and loves aminos as the break down quite quickly.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick here is to treat the problem (high phosphates) not the symptom (cyano outbreak). In my experience, a cyano outbreak is like a flash flood. In a flash flood the rain comes hard. At first the drains handle it but so much water is coming so quick that they get overwhelmed. Then the ground starts to absorb the water but it too can only take up so much so fast. Once the ground and drains are at capacity you get the flash flood.

When you see a cyano outbreak it is because everything in your tank has absorbed all the phosphate it can (sand, rock, etc) and now there's no where to go but the water. This abundance of phosphate (often with lower nitrates) is the environment that cyano loves.

Running some GFO will help. Check your Tds on your RODI. It will take awhile. As you pull phosphate out of the water the excess phosphate in the sand and rock will replace what you removed from the water. Be patient. You'll get it all out soon. Excess carbon dosing can also cause this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick here is to treat the problem (high phosphates) not the symptom (cyano outbreak). In my experience, a cyano outbreak is like a flash flood. In a flash flood the rain comes hard. At first the drains handle it but so much water is coming so quick that they get overwhelmed. Then the ground starts to absorb the water but it too can only take up so much so fast. Once the ground and drains are at capacity you get the flash flood.

When you see a cyano outbreak it is because everything in your tank has absorbed all the phosphate it can (sand, rock, etc) and now there's no where to go but the water. This abundance of phosphate (often with lower nitrates) is the environment that cyano loves.

Running some GFO will help. Check your Tds on your RODI. It will take awhile. As you pull phosphate out of the water the excess phosphate in the sand and rock will replace what you removed from the water. Be patient. You'll get it all out soon. Excess carbon dosing can also cause this.
Sorry , not quite true.

OP
OP
Jerzyray

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so running too much carbon can cause this? if so i think that may be it. i am running a reactor with carbon with a strong flow and phosguard mixed in as well

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so running too much carbon can cause this? if so i think that may be it. i am running a reactor with carbon with a strong flow and phosguard mixed in as well

Don't think "too much" carbon would do it. How old is the tank?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back