Algea keep blooming in my refugium

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of my refugium even I clean it every 2 weeks, then it still coming back. At first, I thought the reason of those elgea in my refugium is low flow, so i put the powerhead and it still blooming. However, my display tank does not have cyano, but have some dino which I still ok with it because i''m running low nutrient.
Kh: 8-9 (8.5 most likely)
Ca: 420
Ph: 7.9 -'8.2
Nitrate: 1-3
Phosphate: pretty low due to GFO

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like cyanobacteria growing on the chaeto to me.
I just clean my refugium last couple weeks, and it is growing like that, but my display still doing well. What happen to my refugium? Is it too small for my tank? It 1.5 gal refugium and my tank is 20gal

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that there is a lack of flow, which allows nutrients to settle around the chaeto and feed the cyano.

Try getting a bit more flow around the fuge for a start off.

If the cyano gets worse, you might have to look at treatment, but you're not there yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t prefer much additions flow in the fuge. Depending on the set up it’s just blowing stuff back into the display.

If it’s a smaller sump yes , could be detritus building up.
I wouldn’t really sweat it though. The sunp is where you hide that stuff. Like bowels.

I would consider lokkong at your foods. Coral foods aminos are fine grained organics and could be feeding it there.

A fwiw , most run a sump fuge as a gut , with lower return flow, Triton runs a higher return flow so the whole tank is a gut.
Both work.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t prefer much additions flow in the fuge. Depending on the set up it’s just blowing stuff back into the display.

If it’s a smaller sump yes , could be detritus building up.
I wouldn’t really sweat it though. The sunp is where you hide that stuff. Like bowels.

I would consider lokkong at your foods. Coral foods aminos are fine grained organics and could be feeding it there.

A fwiw , most run a sump fuge as a gut , with lower return flow, Triton runs a higher return flow so the whole tank is a gut.
Both work.
I feed my tank not too much and i dose amino acid, x- special everyday for keeping the color of coral. I did add the powerhead add some new cheato in there, but algea still bloom as last time imI showed you. Should I put a snail in there??

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that there is a lack of flow, which allows nutrients to settle around the chaeto and feed the cyano.

Try getting a bit more flow around the fuge for a start off.

If the cyano gets worse, you might have to look at treatment, but you're not there yet.
I just finish the cyano battle after 4 months. Everything is doing pretty well and no sign of cyano in my display tank. I cleaned my refugium twice in one month and it keep blooming those bacteria. I have no idea why it happen

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank not too much and i dose amino acid, x- special everyday for keeping the color of coral. I did add the powerhead add some new cheato in there, but algea still bloom as last time imI showed you. Should I put a snail in there??
I think it’s the coral food.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed reef roid 2-3 times a week, but i set my protein skimmer run wet. Is it ok if i clean my refugium twice a month. If i leave my refugium without cleaning, is it effect my DT??
No it’s fine to clean.
I only feed some coral foods a couple times a week instead of every day.
They are very small and stay dissolved in the water for a long time.
I think they are like vitamins. They done need very much if they are good food and the fish eat good food.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s fine to clean.
I only feed some coral foods a couple times a week instead of every day.
They are very small and stay dissolved in the water for a long time.
I think they are like vitamins. They done need very much if they are good food and the fish eat good food.
Thanks, i will need to clean it up

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back