Found in my refugium

Justreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been reefing for about 6 years now. I have a 150 gallon tank that I bought and made everything else myself I have a 55 gallon sump that I sectioned off myself with a refugium. Which gets me to my question. I was doing my weekly cleaning yesterday and noticed something in my refugium and can't decide what it is? It is either an anenome of some sort? Or possibly a Duncan coral? I do have two Duncan corals in my display tank but I've never had any anenomes. So which also makes me question how did this get here. I haven't added anything into the tank in about year. So why is it just now appearing? I attached some photos any help would be appreciated. (don't mind it's a little dirty pics are before the cleaning haha)
20240109_162719.jpg
20240109_162656.jpg
20240109_162631.jpg

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

Justreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My substrate was all added 6 years ago. It crazy that it's just appearing then. What's the best way to get rid of them?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My substrate was all added 6 years ago. It crazy that it's just appearing then. What's the best way to get rid of them?
Agreed appears to be Aiptasia. There does appear to be some confusion. I believe by substrate, the other poster meant any surface not actual substrate. Basically it could have come in as a super tiny baby on anything (except for fish pretty much) that was added to the tank. Live rock, corals, snail/crab shells, etc.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-Aiptasia works great, do not let drip on any corals though, as they will be literally Toast!

Also...best thing I ever did...was Peppermint Shrimp...no Aiptasia whatsoever now. Started with 4, only 1 remaining now, but still no Aiptasia. They work great!! And are cheap too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back