Algea on the rocks

DTheMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

what is the best way to clean off the algea on the rocks?

image_50433793.JPG
image_50394625.JPG

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not put it there in the first place...? A UV will do a good job of keeping algae in-check long-term. Certain types of fish (tangs, blennies) will also pick at it as will certain inverts (ring cowries, spiny astrea snails, urchins). Not sure how large your tank is so some of those fish won't be applicable.

There's a lot of algae on the sides of the glass, so that's the first place I'd start and keep that a daily regiment. Scrubbing and syphoning off what algae you can along with water changes helps as well.

OP
OP
D

DTheMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not put it there in the first place...? A UV will do a good job of keeping algae in-check long-term. Certain types of fish (tangs, blennies) will also pick at it as will certain inverts (ring cowries, spiny astrea snails, urchins). Not sure how large your tank is so some of those fish won't be applicable.

There's a lot of algae on the sides of the glass, so that's the first place I'd start and keep that a daily regiment. Scrubbing and syphoning off what algae you can along with water changes helps as well.
Thanx for the suggestion. I only have 30G nano tank. I do need to get clean up crew for sure.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius eat detritus but astreas are monsters of algae. Just need to keep replenishing since they commit suicide frequently by falling off rocks. On coral skeleton rubble like I use that's not a problems as they seem to be able to right themselves rather quickly. Trochus and margaritas don't have that issue but don't see them eating algae as efficiently as the astreas.

My solution, however, has been to overdose carbon and overfeed. Why it owrks not exactly clear but it does. I'm not having to supplment my CUC with algae wafers. Have meaty pellets for the nassarius. Apparently detritus not their chosen menu item although I'm told that's what they eat yet come racing when meaty pelklets such as Hikari Massivoure Delite are offered.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius eat detritus but astreas are monsters of algae. Just need to keep replenishing since they commit suicide frequently by falling off rocks. On coral skeleton rubble like I use that's not a problems as they seem to be able to right themselves rather quickly. Trochus and margaritas don't have that issue but don't see them eating algae as efficiently as the astreas.

My solution, however, has been to overdose carbon and overfeed. Why it owrks not exactly clear but it does. I'm not having to supplment my CUC with algae wafers. Have meaty pellets for the nassarius. Apparently detritus not their chosen menu item although I'm told that's what they eat yet come racing when meaty pelklets such as Hikari Massivoure Delite are offered.
Mine are fairly hardy. It also helps that I have a mostly flat and level rockscape, so they don't have to hang precariously off the side.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven't really seen that happen to any nas. They can flip over really well, and usually keep to the sand unless they are low on food.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are fairly hardy. It also helps that I have a mostly flat and level rockscape, so they don't have to hang precariously off the side.
Not sure how they haven't gone extinct in nature. Not many flat rocks there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back