Cycling new tank, brown dust on the sand... now string like brown algae on the rocks

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know diatoms is common for newly cycled tank.. I have a brown stuff all of my sand so I thought it was diatoms... Now I see brown stringy algea. Is that diatoms too or can it by dinos? There seems to be brown bubbles on the rocks too. I use a blower and it is crusty. It does come off the rock but not easy. Very crusty and clumpy.

Will try to take picture tomrorow.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you categorize the appearance of your tank right now as "ugly"?

1000002953.jpg

Just being silly. A picture will be very helpful. Bubbles make me think dinos, but the pics will help a lot.
A lot of algae at this stage is normal, though. Everything is duking it out to come out #1

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this???

IMG_6158.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpeg
    IMG_6157.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 35

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like diatoms on the sand bed. The rocks appear to be dinos but it's pretty hard to make a definitive statement with a zoomed out picture. In actuality, a microscope is the best way to identify what you're looking at when it comes to nuisance algae, but from the picture nothing looks too out of line. I see coralline spots as well so you're on your way. If the brown stuff starts growing bubbles or takes on a slimy appearance, it could be cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates, but I'd probably just leave it be imo.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not leave it if it’s dinoflagellates (dinos). Several species of of dinos are highly toxic. It’s a down and dirty test but if it’s dinos it looks like you would have enough to be able to smell them. Sniff the corner at the top. If it’s dinos the water usually has a lagoon smell distinctly different from usual seawater smell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back