ALK Drops but not CAL

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw if you want simple cheap and “good” dosers BRS single dosers are good and I read somewhere they could be set up with Apex

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking out @Hitman! Yeah that being your only con im leaning towards the Coral Box since I will be doing mainly LPS with very few SPS i dont think dosing ALK only once every hour " I do not use KALK" will be an issue, also since it seems easier to program. I'm a keep it simple type of guy.
Easy to program is a understatement lol. Setting up the WiFi took me a bit but I’m not tech savey so I can’t hold that against it lol

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tech but with my reef I like to keep things simple less room to mess up. And I do not plan on setting up an Apex any time soon if ever. I may just go with the DIY Voss glass bottles they look nice and sleek

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun I’ve been thinking about changing the jugs out to Jack Daniels bottles this way when someone looks at my sump area they get a laugh! Lol

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tech but with my reef I like to keep things simple less room to mess up. And I do not plan on setting up an Apex any time soon if ever. I may just go with the DIY Voss glass bottles they look nice and sleek
I figured I wouldn't want or need to go apex with my first build as it's not all that elaborate of a setup. Once they release d the EL it totally changed my mind. I just set it up over the weekend and absolutely love it

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I felt the same way get a few timers to turn things on and off but the longer you stay in the hobby and the more money you invest in live stock will eventually change your mind for a controller to at least monitor certain things in the tank and have the ability to turn things on and off.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I felt the same way get a few timers to turn things on and off but the longer you stay in the hobby and the more money you invest in live stock will eventually change your mind for a controller to at least monitor certain things in the tank and have the ability to turn things on and off.

What things would i need to turn off? Possible heater or ato malfunction?
I run:
Kessil Ap700
Mp 40&10
Reef Octo Classic 200 " i think lol"
Smart ATO micro
Finnex titanium heater " replace every 2 years same as my power bar"

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the on and off is just a plus I was more worried about monitors, but I do have it set to turn off my skimmer when my return is off also kills my main powerhead to avoid bubbles from being produced from low water line, sends me an alert if my pump Fails, now to the golden touch if you have a large enough tank is leak detection,luckily I was home(apartment building) when My 1st tank sprung a leak Friday night 11pm I was getting dressed to have a long night but instead my night was transferring all my stock to a brute container and cleaning up Salt water and hearing neighbors under complaints. After that I felt for sure my next build had to have a monitor. Again these things ain’t necessary but their is no price on confort and piece of mind. Another incident I had I left my RODI on left to work and as soon as I got in I got an alert had to run back home since crying thinking I had another leak I didn’t know why was that alarm on, luckily my ATO container was close enough to the detector this was about 4 weeks ago no neighbor complaints on that one only about 5 gallons of water was spilled my carpet took most of it

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What things would i need to turn off? Possible heater or ato malfunction?
I run:
Kessil Ap700
Mp 40&10
Reef Octo Classic 200 " i think lol"
Smart ATO micro
Finnex titanium heater " replace every 2 years same as my power bar"
Off and on is nice but I love having the apex fusion. Nice to be able to see the temp and ph monitoring. Power monitoring of each of the outlets is nice for alerts if something is out of range. Love having my skimmer turn off automatically whenever return pump is off

You could also have full control of your kessil and vortech pumps as well.

She sky is the limit with the apex but all the built in features are well worth the $500 for me for the EL

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The initial cost is what I people feel the most, I bought new and use modules but yeah still a tad expensive, on a nano not much but once you start getting into bigger tanks I feel it’s a necessity but nice to have, this is the Doser part I can adjust my doser very easily with my phone apex calculates the break down of the dosage throughout the day

F1110EAE-0ED2-4A97-BB7E-8647FBFC50FA.png

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to do a lot or research on APEX before I consider one but who know may be on my Xmas wish list for this year.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop those hints in lol Xmas is around the corner lol

So i jumped on BRS there tons of options for APEX and also APEX EL. Its a bit overwhelming seeing so many options and know not much about out and what I should even consider buying.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i jumped on BRS there tons of options for APEX and also APEX EL. Its a bit overwhelming seeing so many options and know not much about out and what I should even consider buying.
There are tons of things you can add to it but out of the box the included features are great. With the EL it's basically the same thing just without the orp and sailinity module which is fine with me. Can always be added later should you choose.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of things you can add to it but out of the box the included features are great. With the EL it's basically the same thing just without the orp and sailinity module which is fine with me. Can always be added later should you choose.

What is ORP?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back