Alk Increasing without Dosing? New Tank

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I set up a frag tank. Bought Australian branching live rock and put it in the tank, added a couple small pieces of Marco rocks and empty frag racks with some coral tiles (no corals, just aragocrete tiles). So it's fairly empty in the tank. Added some clowns and left lights off for a few weeks. Giving clowns some mysis and also added a couple Jars of pods and an ounce of live phyto. Also a few astrea snails and a hermit.

Last week i finally got my Apex on the tank set up and set up the Trident. Was surprised to find my alk was around 9.5... seeing as how I use Nyos salt and the salt mix fresh is about 7.7-8 dKH. Confirmed with a hanna that yes... alk was accurate and about 9.5. Since then my alk has continued to rise... and is currently 9.9...

What's causing the rise in alk? The only think i can think of is some of the aussie live rock i got is adding alk... it looks like large pieces of coral skelton more than rock since it's branching...

Calcium has been floating around 350 the entire time and Magnesium around 1350... Nitrate is 13.5 and phos is 0.16. pH is pretty consistently at 7.9/8 (but i haven't calibrated the apex probe yet and tank is in basement). I just turned on skimmer to start breaking it in.

Want to start getting paramaters set and ramping up lights to add coral frags but not until alk seems more stable. I plan to do a water change to bring it back down... just not sure how it got to almost 10 to begin with.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are that alkalinity is leaching from your rock work.. I had a very similar experience with my Marco rocks.

This thread touches on the subject of the rocks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I set up a frag tank. Bought Australian branching live rock and put it in the tank, added a couple small pieces of Marco rocks and empty frag racks with some coral tiles (no corals, just aragocrete tiles). So it's fairly empty in the tank. Added some clowns and left lights off for a few weeks. Giving clowns some mysis and also added a couple Jars of pods and an ounce of live phyto. Also a few astrea snails and a hermit.

Last week i finally got my Apex on the tank set up and set up the Trident. Was surprised to find my alk was around 9.5... seeing as how I use Nyos salt and the salt mix fresh is about 7.7-8 dKH. Confirmed with a hanna that yes... alk was accurate and about 9.5. Since then my alk has continued to rise... and is currently 9.9...

What's causing the rise in alk? The only think i can think of is some of the aussie live rock i got is adding alk... it looks like large pieces of coral skelton more than rock since it's branching...

Calcium has been floating around 350 the entire time and Magnesium around 1350... Nitrate is 13.5 and phos is 0.16. pH is pretty consistently at 7.9/8 (but i haven't calibrated the apex probe yet and tank is in basement). I just turned on skimmer to start breaking it in.

Want to start getting paramaters set and ramping up lights to add coral frags but not until alk seems more stable. I plan to do a water change to bring it back down... just not sure how it got to almost 10 to begin with.
I wouldn't even bother with measuring Alk in a new tank with no coral.

There is a lot happening at a biological level which won't start to stabilise until you have more animals in the tank.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are that alkalinity is leaching from your rock work.. I had a very similar experience with my Marco rocks.

This thread touches on the subject of the rocks.
Yep agree
May be the coral tiles I've not used them before also the op says parameters on a new set up will be swinging like a clocks pendulum

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back