ALk is not dropping, someone know the problem?

James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I got problem with Acros tips burning with brown algae on it, did some research and thought it’s Alk level high which is around 10 and nutrient low , so I have been trying to reduce dose of Alk and cal both, however it’s been a week until stop dosing , the Alk is still around 10 without change, A few Acros also came with basal ressesion too. Appreciate if can get any help here.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your acros are in the dormant stage so they are not growing therefore no alk or calcium will get consume. If u want to lower then do water change with lower alk salt. How long has the tank been running? Your Sps were they growing before and stop or never grow. Are u start with dry rock? Do u dose anything? What kind of light?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you only have a few small frags, they may take forever to uptake the alk.

As suggested, do some water changes with lower alk salt. And if your mag is super high, alk can stay high too.

OP
OP
James-reefer2017

James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acros are in the dormant stage so they are not growing therefore no alk or calcium will get consume. If u want to lower then do water change with lower alk salt. How long has the tank been running? Your Sps were they growing before and stop or never grow. Are u start with dry rock? Do u dose anything? What kind of light?
Tks! Yes, That could be the situation , no any consumption so hang in there. I will try to WC slowly. The tank has been running 6 month, I transferred SPs from old tank 2 months ago with rocks together. They has been growing in old tank fantastically. I dose only 2 parts, now stopped. Only LED light. A few weeks after The SPS transfered, colors were becoming lighter and a few pale, friend told because low nutrient, so I shut off skimmer, UV sterilizer, GFO. A few days later, some green color grew back on the pale and light color Acros. So I just kept in that way and get NA 0.02-0.05 and PH 0.03-0.05, but another few days later, I found the tips were burned. That’s things how is it now.
image.jpg

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see those acro's start to bounce back once you get that alk back down, like others have been suggesting, get a lower alk salt and do some water changes. You can also use acid to drop your current salt mix down some before a water change need to aerate look into how to do that plenty of forms on this here.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Nitrate again, sounds too low or bottomed out. If Nitrate bottoms out, your SPS will stop calcification. When that happens, Alk typically rises and then can cause burned tips.

OP
OP
James-reefer2017

James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see those acro's start to bounce back once you get that alk back down, like others have been suggesting, get a lower alk salt and do some water changes. You can also use acid to drop your current salt mix down some before a water change need to aerate look into how to do that plenty of forms on this here.
Tks the advise! Will do that. Hope they will bounce back soon.

OP
OP
James-reefer2017

James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Nitrate again, sounds too low or bottomed out. If Nitrate bottoms out, your SPS will stop calcification. When that happens, Alk typically rises and then can cause burned tips.
I do check everyday, it’s been up from 0 to 0.02 -0.05, I really can’t distinguish the color between 0.025-0.05, I guess it’s fine between that level , yesterday do WC 5 gal, it seems ALK dropping to 9.6

Back