Alk keeps getting higher calcium won’t budge

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Seachem Reef calcium. It’s comes in a liquid. Randy did an excellent write up on the cause

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Seachem Reef calcium. It’s comes in a liquid. Randy did an excellent write up on the cause

1DF6DCB8-C79E-4842-BAA3-F12EB885468B.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!!

I just saw that product on your thread.

I always used their Reef Advantage cal and mag, and Reef Builder for alk.

Don't use their Reef PH Buffer, that is a "junk" product that will raise alk and contains borate too.

Loathe borate, because I can't find the color endpoints with test kits, with that element.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you would say borate. I have been fighting another issue. By Boron levels are shy high and I have been on a mission for about 6 months to figure out why. I am convinced it caused by something I changed (in terms of additives). When Neptune released Trident I move away from dosing scheme to Trident and Neptune DOS. Prior to installing Trident I was Dosing Baking soda (heated in oven for 3 hours) and Reef Advantage. In order to try and get better control I moved to Reef Calcium and Reef Carbonate. Both Seachem products. I also started to use Kent Marine Magnesium. since that change I have noticed a sharp rise in Boron (10 times higher than normal). As you might guess both Seachem and Kent Marine have indicated their products do not contain anything that would drive up boron. In effort to isolate the cause the first thing I have tried is move away from Seachem Reef Carbonate to BRS Soda Ash. I did that about 6 weeks ago and should have ICP test results this week. Assuming that has no impact I will wait a few weeks and see if eliminating Reef Calcium (for BRS Calcium) has an impact. If that fails I will focus on my magnesium choice. I have tested the fresh saltwater using Boron test and it was 1/10 of the value of the tank water as expected. My hope is once I get my chemistry of the tank corrected the Coral will again start to absorb Calcium and grow. All my corals look great they are just not growing and my Calcium never moves far away from 425. Any Comments welcomed.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got my results back from ICP-Analysis and the Boron level had not moved, it still 10 times higher than normal. (fresh saltwater). I have now replaced my Calcium solution (Seachem Reef Calcium) with BRS calcium and will again test after a few weeks. It still early in my testing but Alkalinity does seem to be more stable even with Calcium dosing on. But it only been running a few days.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2. Now running for a few days alkalinity intake has jumped and having calcium dosing isn’t causing alkalinity to rise. Clearly evidence that Seachem reef calcium was having negative impact. So the next question will has this also resolved my sky high boron values but it will take a few weeks to dilute what’s it is now. Hopefully it has. Thanks all for the advice.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3. I am pleased to report calcium and alkalinity have been very stable AND based on today’s result from ICP boron has dropped from 65 to 38 in a month. This proves that seachem reef Advantage Calcium was adding unwanted additives

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back