Alk not rising

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reef.Blue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reef.Blue

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2022
Messages
441
Reaction score
128
Location
NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having some alk problems as it has been a little low around 7.1 DKH. I purchased the red sea alk supplement and measured out the correct amount to raise it to 8.5, but it only went up to 7.3 the next day, so I am a bit confused on what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?
 
I have been having some alk problems as it has been a little low around 7.1 DKH. I purchased the red sea alk supplement and measured out the correct amount to raise it to 8.5, but it only went up to 7.3 the next day, so I am a bit confused on what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?
First of all, I’m glad your alk did not increase from 7.1 to 8.5 overnight!! That is a great way to kill your corals! Never raise Alk more than 0.5 dKH per day.

Now that’s out of the way, there are several possibilities as to why the Alk did not go up. The most likely is probably just a calculation error. What is your supplement exactly and how much did you put in? What size tank? With that info I can double check the math for you. Another possibility is precipitation of calcium carbonate. How old is the tank? How did you add the supplement (i.e. poured into sump, powerhead, etc)?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new