Alk question.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ever since installing my ca. reactor a little over a year ago I have had problems keeping my alk where I want it. I would like to have it around 9 yet it always wants to creep up to 12. I am running a geo 612 with large arm media and a milwaukee ph controller. I have the controller set to 7.0 and I am running about 1 drip every other second. I am also running a precision marine kalk reactor through my top-off. Right now Ca is around 450 (Api), Alk is at 12 (API and Salifert), Mag is around 1300-1350 (Salifert). I have had issues with montis on and some tip recession on some acros. I did a water change last sun and the alk just slowly raises through the week. What should I do. Raise the ph on the controller? Leave it alone and just try to keep the alk stable at 12? Ditch the reactor and go back to two part? I would like my alk around 9 and I am ready to the the reactor out the window. I never had this issue even dosing two-part manually.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from calc reactor users that they can be more of an alk supplier than an calcium supplier and that 12dkh are very common values.

my .02

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kalk is adding some Alk, since your are running a Ca reactor stop with the Kalk unless you really find you need it for PH control, which you did not mention what that is running, and just use straight RO/DI water for top off and see if that helps. Personally I am not a fond of Ca reators myself.

fizhfly

www.reefexclusive.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kalk is adding some Alk, since your are running a Ca reactor stop with the Kalk unless you really find you need it for PH control, which you did not mention what that is running, and just use straight RO/DI water for top off and see if that helps. Personally I am not a fond of Ca reators myself.
i agree with this 100%.
i run reactors and whats happening when it tops off its throwimg your drip rate out of wack

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above posts. I went through the same thing. Eventually I took the kalk reactor offline and things started to level out. Now i just dose. :)

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is my next step cause it is getting ridiculous. I am about ready to throw things out the window. My red planet started receding as well as a couple of ohter acros and my montis still haven't fully come back around. It seems like things will be better right after a water change and as the week goes on they get worse. I did a water change on tues and Wed A.M.= Alk 8 Ca 420 Wed P.M. Alk 9 Ca 420-430. Thurs A.M. Alk 10 Ca 430-440. I am also thinking about dtiching the kalk reactor for a couple of reasons and wanted to get other peoples opnions. The filtration room is in the garage so the evaporation rate is high and unstable. Some days it high some low, some mornings and night low and during the day high or vice versa. Also my sump is a 75g with no baffles. So in order to cut on the ato, a good amount of water must evaporate before it will top off. This means that the top off runs once or twice a day max and puts in a good amount of water at once. I may watch and wait till it finishes topping off and measure the alk a little while later to see the diff. b/c to my knowledge alk should go down and ca up, not both up. Also My drip on the ca reactor is about one drip every second and a half to two seconds. Ph is set at 7.0 in the reactor. So...a couple of questions. Does anyone think the the kalk reactor may be hurting me with instability instead of helping? Should I ditch it and stick to ca reactor only and compare readings over a few days? Could a high nutrient level maybe be inhibiting growth therfore allowing the alk to creep up over the course of a few days? Slow drip rate more on the reactor or even raise ph more? Thanks for reading this long post and help pleeeeeease.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I measured the alk again after the ato stopped and it was still 10. I will measure again after lights out to see what it reads. Also, I measured the alk of the effluent and it was around 15.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a Ca reactor you shouldnt need a kalk reactor at all. what i did was in my octopus Ca reactor i put in about 3" neomag (mg rocks) to help boost Mg to keep alk and Ca happy together. without Mg, either Ca, or Alk will precipitate out and mess with your parameters like they are now.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think to simplify things I am going to get rid of the kalk reactor and just tune in the ca reactor to run alone.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back