Food coloring

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used this in the past to test flow patterns but that was a test tank and wasn’t concern if it was toxic to corals. Didn’t expect it being toxic to fish since it’s not supposedly toxic to humans. Thoughts on using it in a tank with corals? Easily removed with GAC as far as the coloring.

Below are the ingredients from McCormick my wife has and clueless I’m using.

IMG_3769.png

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid food coloring. Some say that low levels are PROBABLY not harmful, but higher concentrations are. The differences between different animal families are significant in the way we metabolize different compounds. Remember, not only will fish ingest it, but they will also breath it. It's a double whammy. So yeah. ATS is an acronym I've always lived by. Avoid The Situation.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use something like Red Sea AB+ - and amino acid supplement. It has a yellowish color and is a health way (for your corals) to see the flow without messing with coloring or chemistry.
Have considered that but having never used it not sure how much needed and what amount of nutrients it would add. Food coloring can color up a 20 with just a few drops. Same with AB+?

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just flood the tank with small frozen food to check flow. I wouldn't want my water red even if it was safe for coral lol
Have done that before but I'm trying to avoid adding food beyond what's needed. GAC removes the color fast.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid food coloring. Some say that low levels are PROBABLY not harmful, but higher concentrations are. The differences between different animal families are significant in the way we metabolize different compounds. Remember, not only will fish ingest it, but they will also breath it. It's a double whammy. So yeah. ATS is an acronym I've always lived by. Avoid The Situation.

That statement that it is harmful is based on what?

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I'm asking because as most things in this and all hobbies. Lot's of conflicting assumptions lacking scientific fact.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have done that before but I'm trying to avoid adding food beyond what's needed. GAC removes the color fast.

I expect it is fine. It will be highly diluted and food dyes are not generally significantly bioactive. I’m also sure you will find no actual tox data on corals.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have considered that but having never used it not sure how much needed and what amount of nutrients it would add. Food coloring can color up a 20 with just a few drops. Same with AB+?
I think I was using 30 ml in my 180 gallon. But it definitely shows the flow even if only a short time before it all mixes.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was using 30 ml in my 180 gallon. But it definitely shows the flow even if only a short time before it all mixes.
Once mixed does it persist or just degrade quickly? I'm also testing to see how quickly the water mixes then fully dilutes when filtration targeted at removing it turned on. With food coloring, can turn off main filtration that has GAC and just run wave makers to mix then see how quickly it dissipates once all pumps running.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it is fine. It will be highly diluted and food dyes are not generally significantly bioactive. I’m also sure you will find no actual tox data on corals.
Figured this wouldn't be something found on a reef yet at the same time no clue how toxic the chemical mix actually is. thx

Last edited:

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try soaking golden pearls in rodi till some start to sink then toss in the tank you can see them corals and fish will eat them and you can get some nutrients out of doing a test for flow

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once mixed does it persist or just degrade quickly? I'm also testing to see how quickly the water mixes then fully dilutes when filtration targeted at removing it turned on. With food coloring, can turn off main filtration that has GAC and just run wave makers to mix then see how quickly it dissipates once all pumps running.
I mean you don’t want to dump a lot in because of nutrients, so if you dose it based on your tank size, you can turn off return and skimmer for several min so it’s not filtered out. For just seeing flow, I’d say leave everything as normal and dose the tank near a pump. You’re gonna see where it goes in 15-30 seconds but after that it’s just going to tint the water a slight yellow/green. After 30 min you’d never know it was in there as for color.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try soaking golden pearls in rodi till some start to sink then toss in the tank you can see them corals and fish will eat them and you can get some nutrients out of doing a test for flow
Have done that with SA Hatchery Dry Food but not the same visual affect as when I used food coloring. Only one way to find out. I’ll try both AB+ and the pearls and see how that goes.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That statement that it is harmful is based on what?

Just what I've picked up in reading somewhere. I considered it years ago, looked into it and decided against it. I remember something about yellow food coloring at higher concentrations being harmful. Where I got the information? I cannot recall. It's been too long. If it's not one of life's great truths, I offer apologies. It very well may have been anecdotal evidence, which does not offer much evidentiary support.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amino acids add very little "food" and barely effect phos and nitrate levels
Wasn't aware of that. Thinking back when I used to workout. Amino acids the building blocks of protein and assumed in the end would be no different than food high in proteins.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use an airstone, I figure its the easiest safest way.
Could use a venturi to introduce fine bubbles but for me it doesn't paint the complete picture required as I need it to persist for other testing reasons. Something permanent until filtered out.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 11.7%
Back