Phosphate drops .2 in 24 hours?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my phosphate last few days and got .25 and .29, today I tested again and got .08(tested it 2x). Is it possible to drop that quick? My guess is human error on the other 2. I use Hanna phosphate lr and I do wipe the glass before every test, maybe there was something on the tubes I was missing. My tank was a little cloudy that past few days also, I figured it was a bacterial bloom, but it is clear now.
IMG_3404.png

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed adverse reactions with corals. i have some zoas dying and mined dropped quickly as well from changing gfo. I was at 0.11 went down to 0 yesterday. I took out some gfo yesterday and heavily feed coral. I dont want dinos again. My other tank went from 0.44 to 0.02. in a matter of days though and having problems with zoas as well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reiterating, have you seen an obvious change in your corals?

My first suspicion would be a testing error. But I've seen PO4 change pretty fast in a system also. Besides corals using it biofilms and sponges are also sequestering it. Cryptic sponges, which you almost certainly have, may store phosphorus in their tissues as polyphosphate crystals. Another possiblility, has their been a big change in feeding? Or a major disruption to the corals? Depending on the food webs in your system corals may or may not be a source of PO4. Changes in their feeding have the potential of changing PO4 levels in a system.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is only 3ish months old, corals seem to look the same, only have a birds nest, and a stylophora, inverts seem happy. Only 2 clowns, so I feed a small pinch a day of homemade food. I am using zeovit, so I am carbon dosing.

I did start using All-For-Reef yesterday morning. (This does not seem relevant, but it is the only thing I can think that changed)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is only 3ish months old, corals seem to look the same, only have a birds nest, and a stylophora, inverts seem happy. Only 2 clowns, so I feed a small pinch a day of homemade food. I am using zeovit, so I am carbon dosing.

I did start using All-For-Reef yesterday morning. (This does not seem relevant, but it is the only thing I can think that changed)
Be careful with zeo in such a new tank… it’s better suited for more mature tanks. Are you doing full zeo with a zeolite reactor etc? It can strip a tank fast if your using the bak, start and coral food..

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with zeo in such a new tank… it’s better suited for more mature tanks. Are you doing full zeo with a zeolite reactor etc? It can strip a tank fast if your using the bak, start and coral food..
Ok, my levels don’t seem bad, I have been trying to keep a close eye on them. I went with their 14 day start. I am using a reactor, I started with sponge power, bak, and start like they suggested, and stared with the food when I added the coral about 2 weeks ago.
IMG_3403.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back