ALK RTN First time in years

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a warning then anything, even if you've been in the hobby for years think you know what to look out for. Something can always go wrong.

Somehow had a doser malfunction and no alk was being dosed. Went from 8dkh to 5 in under 2 days and have lost one of my favorite acros the blue ice.

Thankfully it is the only affected so far I'm attempting to slowly bring up my alk .5 dkh ever 6 hours but who knows how the tank will respond to bringing it back up

Last edited:

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your loss. I hope everything else makes it as you bring alk back up.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a warning then anything, even if you've been in the hobby for years think you know what to look out for. Something can always go wrong.

Somehow had a doser malfunction and no alk was being dosed. Went from 8dkh to 5 in under 2 days and have lost one of my favorite acros the blue ice.

Thankfully it is the only affected so far I'm attempting to slowly bring up my alk .5 dkh ever 6 hours but who knows how the tank will respond to bringing it back up

Sorry, hope everything else is ok. I could never keep the blue ice (smooth skin?) probably because I let my Alk drift too low too often. I recently raised my alk from 6 to 7 a little too quickly but so far no bad side effects. IMO I would raise to 7 and keep it there for a while. 7 always works better for me BUT maybe it's why some acros don't do well in my tank.

OP
OP
Luno

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, hope everything else is ok. I could never keep the blue ice (smooth skin?) probably because I let my Alk drift too low too often. I recently raised my alk from 6 to 7 a little too quickly but so far no bad side effects. IMO I would raise to 7 and keep it there for a while. 7 always works better for me BUT maybe it's why some acros don't do well in my tank.

Oddly enough blues and purples the supposedly hardest do well in my small system. When my large system is up and running I hope I can continue that trend. The strawberry shortcake had full polyp extension as if nothing has happened, and most other acros are acting as if nothing has happened. The blue ice was the most recent addition I'd say maybe 2 months ago. So may be why it is affected as it hasn't had as much time to settle.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I bought a KH monitor (and will buy the triton from apex when it comes out). I get alerted if my ALK goes outside of a certain range, because it's literally the biggest cause of sps issues in my book.

OP
OP
Luno

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I bought a KH monitor (and will buy the triton from apex when it comes out). I get alerted if my ALK goes outside of a certain range, because it's literally the biggest cause of sps issues in my book.

Can't agree more. I'm glad we're at the point where alk monitor is starting to advance

OP
OP
Luno

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update have returned my alk to 7.6 and so far everything else seems to be doing just fine. Very thankful for only the one casualty from this disaster!

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got burned by this too many times before the alk checker came out due to my laziness of using other test kits. It's amazing how quickly they die off but it seemingly takes forever to get them to flourish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back