Alk stable but low

Marinereefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have started a tank almost 1 year ago. My Alk has been consistently around 6.4 Dkh. I’m looking to raise this up slowly. Does anyone have any luck doing this without swinging the other parameters?

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 79
Ph: 8.0 to 8.2
Dkh: runs around 6.4
Nitrate: 50
Phosphate: 0.03
Calcium: 450

TIA

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda Ash, or, the alkalinity part of two-part. It'll temporarily bump your pH a bit, but that's about it.

Your local fish store might carry this exact brand if they have other BRS products, but if not, just make sure you're buying something that's just soda ash (or sodium bicarbonate, if you use that instead). Products like All For Reef are, by design, going to raise calcium as well.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you have any corals in there yet? If you don't have anything consuming the alkalinity and it's just naturally at 6.4 (test the fresh/unused saltwater), you might want to look into switching salt brands. I'm only familiar with my brand that happens to run exceptionally high, but if your fresh saltwater is running that low, it seems like it's going to be an uphill battle to maintain once you start adding things. But that's a moot point if it's low because you've already started stocking it with alkalinity consumers.

OP
OP
Marinereefiner

Marinereefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you All for you insight.

I do have some corals in the tank.

I’m using Fritz RPM salt. I will take a sample of fresh saltwater

Any known issues from dosing with baking soda? Is baking soda a temporary resolution or do I just dose with it when needed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you All for you insight.

I do have some corals in the tank.

I’m using Fritz RPM salt. I will take a sample of fresh saltwater

Any known issues from dosing with baking soda? Is baking soda a temporary resolution or do I just dose with it when needed?

It is not temporary or second rate. It is just cheaper than a commercial buffer.

OP
OP
Marinereefiner

Marinereefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not temporary or second rate. It is just cheaper than a commercial buffer.
He
Also, do you have any corals in there yet? If you don't have anything consuming the alkalinity and it's just naturally at 6.4 (test the fresh/unused saltwater), you might want to look into switching salt brands. I'm only familiar with my brand that happens to run exceptionally high, but if your fresh saltwater is running that low, it seems like it's going to be an uphill battle to maintain once you start adding things. But that's a moot point if it's low because you've already started stocking it with alkalinity consumers.
I checked my fresh saltwater. It is running at 8.34 Dkh. Something must be using it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He

I checked my fresh saltwater. It is running at 8.34 Dkh. Something must be using it.

If your nitrate measurement is accurate, the alk was depleted by 2.3 dKH due to the accumulation of that 50 ppm of nitrate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back