Alk swung

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense, SPS are more sensitive to alk swings.
However LPS don't like swings neither, and it may take longer to react.
You really need to find some time for a water change to start decreasing these levels.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense, SPS are more sensitive to alk swings.
However LPS don't like swings neither, and it may take longer to react.
You really need to find some time for a water change to start decreasing these levels.
The 6 lps pieces I have was all opened and fluffy surprisingly, will play with salt mixing this afternoon when I’m off work and re check alk

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 lps pieces I have was all opened and fluffy surprisingly, will play with salt mixing this afternoon when I’m off work and re check alk
Okay little update: tested fresh salt mix mixed at 1.025 unshaken/ unmixed bucket tested off the scale of what Hanna could even read!!!
shook the bucket up really well and mixed it throughly mixed it at 1.025 and it hit 11dkh spot on via Hanna and Api alk testers pics to show results before and after throughly mixing the dry salt mix

Attachments

• 8E96CCE4-6B9E-4F7C-844D-0FC03F5AF0B5.png
    8E96CCE4-6B9E-4F7C-844D-0FC03F5AF0B5.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 7DB775F4-7C7C-463B-A225-80D087866A17.png
    7DB775F4-7C7C-463B-A225-80D087866A17.png
    488.4 KB · Views: 8

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. This is a really significant difference :astonished-face:

I wonder why it happens so often with IO salt, they don't sell it here so I've never used it myself but it seems like others have experienced the same using it as well.

I mostly use fresh sea water but from time to time I do mix my own with Red Sea salt which is very popular brand over here, never had an issue myself or have ever heard of anyone around here to have it as well.

Anyway, because the shaken salt still does have elevated elements the most you'll be able to decrease is to around 11dKH and it'll take some time to do so. In general, there is nothing wrong with keeping a tank with elevated elements, there are pros and cons to this like anything else but coral can and will adapt.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. This is a really significant difference :astonished-face:

I wonder why it happens so often with IO salt, they don't sell it here so I've never used it myself but it seems like others have experienced the same using it as well.

I mostly use fresh sea water but from time to time I do mix my own with Red Sea salt which is very popular brand over here, never had an issue myself or have ever heard of anyone around here to have it as well.

Anyway, because the shaken salt still does have elevated elements the most you'll be able to decrease is to around 11dKH and it'll take some time to do so. In general, there is nothing wrong with keeping a tank with elevated elements, there are pros and cons to this like anything else but coral can and will adapt.
Agreed, makes me wonder tho I was formerly using reef crystals and I always had to dose alk to keep it up so now I’m curious if shaking it caused it to mix spot on from the elevated levels with that being said I never shook rc and it mixed low I’m assuming (never tested salt mix for alk)

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, makes me wonder tho I was formerly using reef crystals and I always had to dose alk to keep it up so now I’m curious if shaking it caused it to mix spot on from the elevated levels with that being said I never shook rc and it mixed low I’m assuming (never tested salt mix for alk)
Most companies have at least 2 kinds of salts, one with normal, closer to sea levels and the other with elevated.
So perhaps the reef crystals is their normal levels salt.

I know that many use salt with elevated levels as a way to supplement depleted elements through a water change, so it does have some reasoning behind it, but once you have enough daily consumption it'll not be sufficient to keep up.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most companies have at least 2 kinds of salts, one with normal, closer to sea levels and the other with elevated.

I know that many use salt with elevated levels as a way to supplement depleted elements through a water change, so it does have some reasoning behind it, but once you have enough daily consumption it'll not be sufficient to keep up.
Time and testing will be the only way to keep up with consumption

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that and the actual act of dosing it back into the system :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Although it is completely acceptable to use water change supplement strategies when the environment allows it.
Especially since I have a nano tank :cool:

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also lower the alk with an acid, not carbon source(vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc).

This should not be done in the tank with inhabitants, but can most certainly be done to mixing water.
Using what?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also lower the alk with an acid, not carbon source(vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc).

This should not be done in the tank with inhabitants, but can most certainly be done to mixing water.
Good point, carbon sources are essentially weak acids.
However, in the current situation it would still leave all other elements elevated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using what?

Sodium bisulfate (DIY or Seachem acid buffer) or hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid).

I generally do not recommend it int eh display tank due to the very large ph drop, but in new salt water you can lower it as low as you want, then aerate it to blow off the excess CO2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrochloric Acid will probably work fine if you give enough time for the chlorine to evaporate before doing the change.

CO2 needs to be removed, but there's no Cl2 (chlorine) involved.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium bisulfate (DIY or Seachem acid buffer) or hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid).

I generally do not recommend it int eh display tank due to the very large ph drop, but in new salt water you can lower it as low as you want, then aerate it to blow off the excess CO2.

Thank you Randy Holmes Farley! After you and I talked the other day about switching to io salt from rc I did the big wc and well if you read the thread assuming you have it wasn’t an pleasant experience to say the least

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy Holmes Farley! After you and I talked the other day about switching to io salt from rc I did the big wc and well if you read the thread assuming you have it wasn’t an pleasant experience to say the least

Yes, I can see a big water change can be a problem from a number of standpoints.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, its not.

Normal IO typically has alk close to but lower then Reef Crystals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back