Alkalinity again

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a little fresh sand upset my alk readings? As some previous threads my alk has risen and all I've done is replaced some sand. Reading previous posts on this nothing really applies to me. Nothing has changed in my situation and I've been using the red sea alk test kit for some time. I'm getting low on regent and would like to stay with this product. Sure I could compare to something else or take to my LFS. I use kalk and baked arm & hammer to maintain my levels. I've decreased my dosage but at this time all I'm doing is guessing and my coral is already suffering.

OP
OP
G

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of sand?

Are you sure it is fully settled out?

How large of an alk rise are we talking about?
The sand is carib sea aragonite select. My alk was kept just below 8 but now has reached 10.5 over the last few weeks. Over the last month or so I've been doing 5 gal water changes in my 40 gal. When making up my water it has been just over 1.030 but has not increased my overall salinity. I wonder if that increased my alk? I've stopped doing weekly water changes. Tonight i tested again and my alk is still 10.5. I've lowered my dosage and even stopped the baking soda for a bit. I'm just afraid of it dropping too much if and when it decreases. Just have to keep a close eye on it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back