Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3795.png

thumbnail_IMG_3798.jpg

Phosphate = 0.12 (Hanna)
Ammonia = 0 (API)
Nitrate = 0 (API)
Nitrite = 0 (API)

I’m having trouble getting my alkalinity above 8 without increasing PH. My tank is about 8 months old and I have the following equipment (trying to build for SPS dominated mixed reef):

- Innovative Marine INT 112 Lagoon - DIMS: 35.4” x 35.4” x 19.7"
- 2x XR30 Pro Lights G6 - set to 60%
- 2x MP40 - set to 75%
- Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Fish Tank Sterilizer 6X, Up to 250 Gallons
- PaxBellum N24
- Red Sea Skimmer 300
- JBJ Arctica 1/3hp chiller
- 30g Trigger Systems sump (CRYS30S)
- about 75lbs marco dry rock (starting to encrust)
- I've added pod populations and have been feeding Reef Roids and phyto daily.
- I have a powder blue tang, a blue eyed tang and one clown fish (I had more fish but they caught a nasty virus :( that killed many overnight--the survivors made it through QT)

I'm currently dosing Two Little Fishies ATLCB4B C-Balance (A&B) 16ml per day, two hours apart. Part A is dosed between 17:00 and 21:00 and Part B is dosed between 00:00 and 05:00. I've had to use soda water to lower PH a few times and it works temporarily, but I can't seem to get ALK over 8.

I currently have only a 4 SPS frags in my tank and a couple of LPS frags, so I don't think the demands are necessarily high. However, I did lose a few frags and given the parameters I just can't explain why.

1. Can you give me advise on how to increase ALK without increasing PH (specific products I could use and in what quantities and intervals)?
2. Do you see anything in my current parameters that would explain past coral RTN?

Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is fine, and the pH would not hurt to rise a lot (I wouldn't go above about pH 8.55), and in any case, you can boost alk with baking soda that won't raise pH.

So all the problems disappear, no matter what you do. :)

I see no chemical reason here for the RTN, but I'd stop adding soda water.

OP
OP
E

emart805

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is fine, and the pH would not hurt to rise a lot (I wouldn't go above about pH 8.55), and in any case, you can boost alk with baking soda that won't raise pH.

So all the problems disappear, no matter what you do. :)

I see no chemical reason here for the RTN, but I'd stop adding soda water.
Is there a certain brand of baking soda you would recommend? I've read that table baking soda isn't very pure and could add unwanted elements. Also, what quantity and how often would you add. Maybe a recommended regime to get to and maintain the ALK at 8 or above?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a certain brand of baking soda you would recommend? I've read that table baking soda isn't very pure and could add unwanted elements. Also, what quantity and how often would you add. Maybe a recommended regime to get to and maintain the ALK at 8 or above?

Did you hear that from someone selling a branded product? An LFS, for example?

FWIW, many if not most branded alk supplements do not make any assertions about purity.

Food grade baking soda from a grocery store has purity limit guarantees, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem using it. MANY people here use it or products related to it (such as baked baking soda to give a pH boost as well)

This calculator shows how much is needed for any particular alk rise desired:

Just dissolve the desired amount in some fresh water and add to a high flow area away from corals.

OP
OP
E

emart805

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you hear that from someone selling a branded product? An LFS, for example?

FWIW, many if not most branded alk supplements do not make any assertions about purity.

Food grade baking soda from a grocery store has purity limit guarantees, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem using it. MANY people here use it or products related to it (such as baked baking soda to give a pH boost as well)

This calculator shows how much is needed for any particular alk rise desired:

Just dissolve the desired amount in some fresh water and add to a high flow area away from corals.
Yes, I heard it on BRS >.>. Of course, the thought crossed my mind that they were peddling their own product, but they made is sound so convincing. Thanks again!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I heard it on BRS >.>. Of course, the thought crossed my mind that they were peddling their own product, but they made is sound so convincing. Thanks again!!

lol

You're welcome.

They use USP pharmaceutical grade sodium carbonate. It may sound good in advertising, but I'd be interested to see them justify a claim that it was better in some way than FCC food grade sodium bicarbonate. From what I can see in the specifications, FCC grade is at least as good and has more specifications.

FCC food grade baking soda:

NaHCO₃%99.3 min
Na₂CO₃%0.5 max
Cl⁻mg / kg250 max
SO₄⁻²mg / kg300 max
Water Insolublesmg / kg500 max
Pb / Leadmg / kg0.1 max
As / Arsenicmg / kg0.1 max
Hg / Mercurymg / kg0.1 max
Fe / Ironmg / kg10 max
Humidity%0.05 max
Solubilityg/100 ml water15.6 (60°C)
9.55 (20 °C)
5.55 (0 °C)
pH1 % solution8.0 – 8.6

USP grade sodium carbonate:

Specifications​

• CAS Number: 497-19-8
  • Chemical Formula: Na2CO3
  • Appearance: White powder
  • Assay: ≥ 99.0%
  • Loss on Drying: ≤ 2.0%
  • Residue after Ignition: ≤ 0.01%
  • pH (5% solution): 11.0 - 12.0
  • Heavy Metals: ≤ 0.001%

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back