Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium all testing high?

https://www.triton.de/en/

cjphi14

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, have had a 55 gallon tank for about a year now, never dosed calcium or anything into the tank before. I've just recently begun testing for Magnesium, Alkalinity, and Calcium with red sea pro test kits. I know they are not all supposed to be elevated. Magnesium is at 1560, Alk at 14 Dkh, and Calcium at 490. Any reason they could be so high?

Budmans

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
It can be high salinity. Try to get a second measurement from another reefer.

KH many times get high if You use tap water, A kH of 5 in the tap water will increase the kH in the tank with 5.
It might be a good idea to check that Your osmosis is correct connected. A kH test of the osmosis water shall shift color on the first drop. Its not a good test for an RO/DI but good enough to see if it is wrong connected between the stages.

OP
cjphi14

cjphi14

View Badges
Reaction score
Normal IO and Reef Crystals are 11-13 dKh, typically, unless they have been stored and suffered precipitation of calcium carbonate.
Hmm... thats odd. I did a 50% water change and no change in alkalinity. Not sure if that is normal or not. but calcium and magnesium are normal again. What would the precipitation of calcium carbonate do?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Hmm... thats odd. I did a 50% water change and no change in alkalinity. Not sure if that is normal or not. but calcium and magnesium are normal again. What would the precipitation of calcium carbonate do?

When you combine 50% of solution A and 50% of solution B, the alkalinity will be the exact average of the two values before mixing.

I'm not sure what the alk values were before or after mixing in your situation.

precipitation of calcium carbonate lowers alk and calcium in the ratio of about 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium decline.

https://www.triton.de/en/

How healthy are your fish?

• All of them are Healthy

Votes: 297 81.1%
  • Most of them are Healthy

Votes: 45 12.3%
  • Half of them are Healthy

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Most are Unhealthy

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • All are Unhealthy

Votes: 5 1.4%