Alkalinity Consumption is decreasing... WHY?

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have noticed within the past week or so my alkalinity has been slowly rising, i try to keep it around 8dKH(+/- .2). The last time it tested normal was 7/7 at 8.2dKH, then i went out of town came back and tested on 7/12 and it was 8.7dKH, so i reduced my doser by 10ml per day, next day 8.8, next day 9.0 so i reduced another 10ml per day. I will test tonight and see where I am.

Total volume: ~250 gallons
2 part- Randy's/Jim Welsh DIY recipe- was dosing 60ml/day now down to 40ml/day
AWC- 1.5 gallons a day using Reef Crystals- tested AWC reservoir and alk was around 7.5dKH for that water.

Right before I left for vacation, I did use F-aiptasia to kill some of the visible aiptasia in my tank, i had to water down the F aiptasia to be able to use it in my longer syringe so it did spread on the rocks and kill some coraline algae. I read that coraline algae will consume alk but do you think it consumes that much? or do I have another problem on my hands?

Thanks for the support!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The demand change may be from pH changes (windows closed vs open, etc.) or from something else like the F-aiptasia.

F-aiptasia may itself boost alk, since I'm not sure what it is, or it may impact calcification by organisms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back