Alkalinity drop in 4 days. Is this normal?

MrJago

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Aberdeen, UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have just recently started dosing KH Coralline Gro into my tank. I have had my tank running for about a year and have always had readings of approx 7.6 PH and 5.5 dKH. As i have no corals at the moment and only 2 clown fish I haven't seen it as a concern. Now i am trying to promote coralline algae growth so have started dosing manually. I started raising the KH and PH at about 1dKH per day. On Monday I made the last dose which tested at 10dKH (was aiming for 9dKH). I then left it for 4 days as per instructions before testing again to find out the 4 day drop. I have now test on Friday and it is back down to 6.5dKH.

Is this normal? As I have no corals it seems to be an excessive drop over 4 days. Anyone have any insight to why this would happen if it is not normal?

Thanks
Jack
 
Hi all.

I have just recently started dosing KH Coralline Gro into my tank. I have had my tank running for about a year and have always had readings of approx 7.6 PH and 5.5 dKH. As i have no corals at the moment and only 2 clown fish I haven't seen it as a concern. Now i am trying to promote coralline algae growth so have started dosing manually. I started raising the KH and PH at about 1dKH per day. On Monday I made the last dose which tested at 10dKH (was aiming for 9dKH). I then left it for 4 days as per instructions before testing again to find out the 4 day drop. I have now test on Friday and it is back down to 6.5dKH.

Is this normal? As I have no corals it seems to be an excessive drop over 4 days. Anyone have any insight to why this would happen if it is not normal?

Thanks
Jack
Have you checked your Calcium and Magnesium levels?
 
No I haven't, and since posting my thread I have been wondering if that would have anything to do with it. Reason I haven't is that I have just been focusing on trying to get my Alk at the correct level, but judging by your question it must have an affect on Alk if Ca and Mg are too low?

Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new