Alkalinity drop when PH goes up

usfpaul82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to get some opinions on what I am seeing with my Alkalinity and PH. I have a well established 90 gallon, nearly 10 years old. But a few months ago I gave it a major overhaul and removed a lot of corals and started fresh. It is SPS heavy with large frags to small colonies at the moment.

Anyways, my Alk has been steady at around 9 (using Trident) and my PH on the low end about 7.8 - 8 ish. I decided to add a CO2 scrubber and boy did that make a difference in PH. It climbed to 8.25 - 8.35 essentially in 24 hours. The chart below shows my Alk and PH values overlaid. Orange is Alk and Blue is PH. You can see the spike in PH and an exact corresponding drop off in Alkalinity. From what you see, is this an indication of additional alkalinity consumption from my corals due to the higher PH? Seems like a very fast response in alkalinity consumption. I am now tweaking my Alk dosing (2part) to match the new uptake I am seeing. Anything I should be worried about? My calcium level seems to be unaffected as of yet and hold steady at about 450.

05F704EC-2760-4F6A-99B5-DFC7A782F362.jpeg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your seeing exactly what you should be seeing with an increase in PH.

Increased PH leads to more uptake by corals which means they grow faster(up to a certain PH, then it declines the higher you get).

Nothing to worry about other then maybe having to prune more often from more growth. Just increase your ALK and CAL dosing to match the consumption from the increased PH.

EDIT:
Keep in mind with more calcareous growth, you need detectable levels of nutrients so you don't end up with burnt tips(calcareous growth but no "skin" on the bone).

OP
OP
U

usfpaul82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your seeing exactly what you should be seeing with an increase in PH.

Increased PH leads to more uptake by corals which means they grow faster(up to a certain PH, then it declines the higher you get).

Nothing to worry about other then maybe having to prune more often from more growth. Just increase your ALK and CAL dosing to match the consumption from the increased PH.

EDIT:
Keep in mind with more calcareous growth, you need detectable levels of nutrients so you don't end up with burnt tips(calcareous growth but no "skin" on the bone).

Thanks! That's what I figured. I was just really surprised to see that happen so quickly, that corals starting up talking additional alk immediately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's what I figured. I was just really surprised to see that happen so quickly, that corals starting up talking additional alk immediately.

Both abiotic precipitation and organism uptake can playa role and respond rapidly. In fact, one might think corals could overshoot initially, if they are primed to work really hard to take up alk/pump out H+ and it is suddenly easier.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
older post i know but I was researching this EXACT same phenomena. I recently added a refugium on an opposite schedule, got my CO2 scrubbing dialed in with fresh outside air etc. I am only dosing kalk and my alk has been dead steady at 8 for the last 3 months (new tank) and my ph was normally 7.8 to 8 on a good day. Now it's running low of 8.1 at night (refugium is still fairly new) and highs of 8.3+ during the day. My alk tanked to 5.5 in a couple days and i was like double-U-teeF?! this helps explain a lot. Going to slowly dose some soda ash to bring it back inline with the former numbers and then track to see how my consumption has changed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back