Go All in with Advanced Alkalinity and pH Control [ADVANCED]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus advises to dose A4R for Calcium not ALK maybe because of individual differences in atmospheric CO2.

The ONLY reason to dose AFR by calcium measurement is due to the lack of immediate testability of alk. It has nothing to do with CO2 being variable, and IMO is is a poor idea because calcium testing is too variable and the real declines in Ca to look for by testing are too small to reliably measure.

One can control alk, and to some possible extent, pH, using AFR or sodium bicarbonate when you want alk but no pH boost, and sodium hydroxide (or carbonate) if you want alk plus a pH boost.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY reason to dose AFR by calcium measurement is due to the lack of immediate testability of alk. It has nothing to do with CO2 being variable, and IMO is is a poor idea because calcium testing is too variable and the real declines in Ca to look for by testing are too small to reliably measure.

One can control alk, and to some possible extent, pH, using AFR or sodium bicarbonate when you want alk but no pH boost, and sodium hydroxide (or carbonate) if you want alk plus a pH boost.
True that. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I should have been referring to PH.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back