Alkalinity Precipitation?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running trident for about 6 months. My trident doesnt have many swings unless the reagent is low. For alk it is always within .1 of my hanna checker depending on reagent batch. Most of the time I get the same reading. Calcium is the biggest issue for me as far as swings on my trident. But I also get a wide reading between my 2 manual test kits. As stated I have verified all the readings many multiples of times with test other than trident.

I tested mag yesterday with red sea kit and its inline with my trident reading of 1400.

Tank is 75 gallon. Minus rock volume and add sump I have 100 gallon water volume. I have mostly zoas and a few lps. No SPS. One large maxima clam. Lots of coraline algee.

Nothing is wrong with it sitting at 8 dkh in principle but the issue is now its already below 8 dkh today. Tank uses about .2 dkh per day which my 20 ml of alk would replace normally. Now its dropping each day so its not going to sit at 8 stable.
I had a similar issue in my 75g mixed reef (your mag and CA are good) and I was using soda ash. I switched to sodium bicarbonate and am dosing for a volume of 83g. For now I am custom blending dry in a beaker of water than adding to overflow after mixing. I use BRS calculator for these amts. 9.43g for 1dkh. 13.2 for 1.4dkh .94 for .1dkh . Now in time you tank will stabalize . Now my alk. use is at .2dkh a day. Good luck

Last edited:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue in my 75g mixed reef (your mag and CA are good) and I was using soda ash. I switched to sodium bicarbonate and am dosing for a volume of 83g. For now I am custom blending dry in a beaker of water than adding to overflow after mixing. I use BRS calculator for these amts. 9.43g for 1dkh. 13.2 for 1.4dkh .94 for .1dkh . Now in time you tank will stabalize . Now my alk. use is at .2dkh a day. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back