Alkalinity problem can’t solved

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 9 is great. Running your tank at 11 will do amazing things. But it is right on the edge of being dangerously high. I try to run everything in the middle if at all possible. Things will and do happen that can something to spike or plummet. Being in the middle as much as possible gives me room to correct the mistakes before bad things happen.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 9 is great. Running your tank at 11 will do amazing things. But it is right on the edge of being dangerously high. I try to run everything in the middle if at all possible. Things will and do happen that can something to spike or plummet. Being in the middle as much as possible gives me room to correct the mistakes before bad things happen.
Don't ever do this. I got lucky.

Attachments

• 20210209_234610.jpg
    20210209_234610.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
johndo

johndo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that density or specific gravity? With density, 1.023-24 would be perfect, with specific gravity, 1.026 would be, with salinity 35ppt would be
I used Refractometer to test and the salinity around 1.023 to 1.024

OP
OP
johndo

johndo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the aquarium?

Curious that after 10 years, there is still so little demand for alkalinity that the salt mix keeps alkalinity that high.
Yes I am sending an attachment

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Refractometer to test and the salinity around 1.023 to 1.024

Just to be clear, that is not salinity. Salinity is a number like 35 ppt or 35 PSU.

1.023 is likely a value for specific gravity, but as noted above, it is ambiguous because density numbers also look like that but are different.

OP
OP
johndo

johndo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, that is not salinity. Salinity is a number like 35 ppt or 35 PSU.

1.023 is likely a value for specific gravity, but as noted above, it is ambiguous because density numbers also look like that but are different.
Never thought of it. so the reading when tested with Refractometer it’s salinity or gravity? I am confused now.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of it. so the reading when tested with Refractometer it’s salinity or gravity? I am confused now.
The refractometer is just giving you the result in a value that is more useful, it’s measuring in one thing but then saying it’s equal to another, eg it’s measuring the refractive index of the water but giving the reading in ppt.

if I were you I would pick one and stick to it, be it 1.026 or 35ppt, I saw you said your salinity was a little off, I would correct that as that leads to all your other parameters being off like alk and calcium. Etc

Back