Alkalinity problems

CBetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started a tank and at some point I’m going to buy corals. I’m using instant ocean reef crystals so I did the nitrogen cycle before I got my fish and I decided to go ahead and buy the API master reef test kit to get ready for a anemone well I tested my Alkalinity and it’s 16dkh I’ve even mixed up a batch in a 5 gallon bucket salinity is at 1.024 and still the alkalinity is 16dkh. Could I just have a bad batch of salt?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The issue is RC is high in elements that an established hard coral tank needs. If you dont have this, then you dont need RC. Use reg IO salt.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean salt, and my alkalinity is usually 15 dkh as well . I have been doing 5 gallon water changes with ro di water weekly (30gal) what worked for me is doing less water changes and allowing my corals to use up the alk/mg/ca

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean salt, and my alkalinity is usually 15 dkh as well . I have been doing 5 gallon water changes with ro di water weekly (30gal) what worked for me is doing less water changes and allowing my corals to use up the alk/mg/ca

same comment as above. :)

OP
OP
CBetts

CBetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to find out my kh test is no good I took my water to be tested and it came back 9dkh so I bought a new test and retested at home and got the same number.

OP
OP
CBetts

CBetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah
I haven’t got corals yet. I quess I’m still in the waiting period. At least the store I go to. Which said I should wait six months before getting a anemone

OP
OP
CBetts

CBetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
16 dKH is above the level in RC.

maybe the salinity is too high, the kit is off,or you boosted alk somehow.
test kit was definitely off. I took my water to get tested and bought a new one and matched my number with the fish store

OP
OP
CBetts

CBetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im
No. The issue is RC is high in elements that an established hard coral tank needs. If you dont have this, then you dont need RC. Use reg IO salt.
I’m actually going to start a reef when my tank is ready. Come to find out my api kh test was no good. Even though it wasn’t expired so I don’t know what’s up with the test. So I took my water to a fish store and got it tested and came back 9dkh so I bought a new test and got the same numbers.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that a new batch of IO Reef Crystals usually lands at 9 dkh?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that a new batch of IO Reef Crystals usually lands at 9 dkh?

Typically it is formulated much higher at 35 ppt. But precipitation of calcium carbonate can take place over time, lowering alkalinity. .

Back